Fixing up a '97 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Salammar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My son turned 15 and convinced his Grandfather to let us have his wasting away '97 1500 Extended Cab.

It needs a bunch of work, but it runs although roughly. I will do a much better review when I get it towed to my house (for sure needs brakes and master cylinder).

I am obviously very excited to be working with my son and showing him what little I know and learn together. I am ordering a manual etc...

Any advice? Issues with the model I should look for first? We have a year to get it looking and running good.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
To be honest, just give everything a good looking over.

Rough running engine could be a multitude of things.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
This is a great project to do with your son, especially if you have a whole year. The Haynes/Chilton manuals will work for most home gamers, however there is some things that they don't include. For that you will want to get yourself the factory service manual. I cant remember where I got the 96-97 version, but here is a link to my copy:

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AivLG2b81LJSi-BbWj4qRiX_PbVllg

For most of it, the haynes/chilton manual will work just fine, the service manual is a once in awhile thing for most people.

Another thing I'd recommend is a little bluetooth scantool that hooks up to your phone.
I have this one and its only bested by the factory DRBIII tool.
https://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-426...id=1480208302&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=scanxl+mx

However something like this will do just as well for most things
https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Product...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XHCNA816TJNJ19NKTMK3

Just make sure that if you have Iphones, you don't buy the bluetooth versions, that you instead get the WiFi versions, otherwise the Iphone cannot connect.

Once you get it back to where you'll be working on it, feel free to ask questions on this forum. Good luck!

Marksman

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 SLT
Engine
V10
There aren't really any specific issues with these trucks that are major, just inspect it good for the normal wear items such as the front end. If you tell us the mileage on the truck and past services done (if you have records) we can give you better information regarding what needs to be done. 3.9's were great engines.

As for the running rough, was it parked because it was running bad or did this result from sitting? If it's been sitting for a while, put a strong dose of SeaFoam in the tank and burn the old rotten gas out. Other than that I would just check for chewed/rotten vacuum lines.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I'm not sure how well the 3.9s handle vacuum leaks, but the 5.2 and 5.9s don't care one bit, you can run around without any vacuum lines hooked up, you will just get a bit worse gas mileage.

That being said, large vacuum leaks like the brake booster or PCV line being rotted will make it run rough if the IAC or throttle plate are gummed up. I'd pull the air filter and inspect that, when you have it off, take a toothbrush and some seafoam or brake clean and scrub the throttle plate while holding it open.

I'd also run some seafoam down the throttle plate while running to blast some past the IAC valve.

The V8s are beasts and incredibly hard to kill, the 3.9s is the little brother who can still take a beating.