front differential problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

haroldsworld66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 L
i have a 2000 dodge ram 1500 5.2 L i had a drivers side front axle leak when i took it apart i found lots of play in the u joints so i replaced them but my problem is i cant seem to get the pinion gears out [pin is behind the big crown gear ] or i cant seem to get the whole carrier out [ not sure if proper terms i slid the intermediate shaft back and both axles are out but i cant seem to get the rest out in order to replace the seal any suggestions would be helpful thank you

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Welcome to RF!

To pull your carrier on your front D-44 you either need to buy or build a case spreader. Yup thats what I said.

I've heard of guys pulling them out with a come a long hooked to the bumper and pounding them in with sledge hammers but that's not the correct way!

Near the bottom of this page you'll find some of the specialty tools you're looking for or at least what they look like.

4x4 Tools