Front driveshaft issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johndavis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
So my front driveshaft was really wobbly so I think I have bad U joints on it. I pulled the front driveshaft out, and am workin on getting the U joints out..

But my question is that I noticed that the front driveshaft wont spin even when I'm not in 4 wheel drive, and I'm in Neutral. Where it connects to the transfer case it spins freely, but where it connects to the front diff. it only moves an inch each way. Is this normal or is there something wrong with this? The front driveshaft does spin when I am driving.

Also any suggestions on getting stubborn U joints out?

bananahamikthe1st

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 v8
I'm not familiar with 1500s but a 2500 and up would have vacuum actuated 4x4 meaning that your passenger side axle is two piece and likely stuck in engaged. As for the joints a press is the easiest way ..balljoint presses work too..if you have a large enough vice you can use a large socket that can fit over one cap and a smaller one on the other side to press it out ...or use the two sockets and a hammer and pound it out just make sure the clips are off before you try anything

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Yeah, all of them had that kind of crappy vacuum actuated 4x4 on the front diff. More than likely thats what stuck.

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
for the vacuum engagement system remove the four 10mm bolts and see if it is off to the left, when you remove that cover the whole Y connector will come out too. It is also possible that it is broken inside of there causing it to be engaged all the time.

A few people even weld them to be always engaged. My flatbed came with it broken, and wouldn't engage got one off a 1500, and it works as it should now.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio