Front end woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

meistermash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Friends, I have been trying to get my stock 01 1500, to go down the road with out my looking like I just left the bar.
I just did the ball joints, both sides, adjusted the steering box, and added one of those braces to the bottom of the steering box to eliminate play there. Also did the hubs and axel joints while it was apart. There was a bunch of play in the bottom of the steering box prior to adding the brace.
It has helped out immensely.
I did not see any play in the other components or if there is I can't see it.
My question is, I still have a small bit of weirdness going on.
I know that I need to have it aligned.
I should replace the steering box for one thing but adjusting it has fixed most of that along with the brace.
What am I over looking?
Tie rod ends seemed to be tight.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Track bar and pitman arm, make sure no play in those as well. What size tires ya runnin? Also these trucks steering in general just sucks, a good redhead or borgeson steering box will really help out. Check out the rock solid ram steering fix as well.

OP
OP
M

meistermash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Stock size tires. Replaced those too. I bought coopers American made. I have one of those steering fix braces on it though I got it off of ebay.
Track bar, is that the seemingly innocent bent jobby with one joint at the top left and a bushing at the other lower left end?
Last year I tilled the rubarb at about 80mph down into the median round and round about six time. Still can't believe that it didn't roll. I had to dig rocks out of the tire beads and can't under stand why those held. Damn lucky to be alive.
Then I dropped the left front tire into a deep hole that I didn't see at about 30mph.

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Last year I tilled the rubarb at about 80mph down into the median round and round about six time. Still can't believe that it didn't roll. I had to dig rocks out of the tire beads and can't under stand why those held. Damn lucky to be alive.

It's a good thing these Rams didn't come in orange with a confederate flag, and 01 on the doors, or everyone would be trying this!

In all seriousness, there is a greater than average chance something got tweaked during your Dukes of Hazardry. I would start with a new track bar, and continue replacing front suspension/steering parts as I could afford them, then get an alignment. If you do all that and still feel too sloppy at the wheel you may need to change out the steering box, it may be beyond adjustment.

OP
OP
M

meistermash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm going to shop for a track bar today. Only thing that makes cents. I would have spotted any other items needing it I hope.
I have a Pontiac g8 giving me problems with the computer and I needed to move it 40 miles to a dealer. So yesterday I borrowed a dolly and was going to tow it with the truck. Just turned around and brought it back home because I didn't get up to 40mph and it was squirling all over the road. It about put me in the barb.
Now that may have been partly because I had a 4000lb car back wards on about a 1960s two wheeled car dolly.
But two years ago I did the same thing with a uhaul dolly and didn't have that much problem as long as I stayed under 60.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Have a look at the steering shaft that goes from the column to the box, make sure there is no play in it also check the rag joint down at the box.

OP
OP
M

meistermash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks.
I replaced the track bar today and it made definite impression. Also went a hair too far on the steering box adjustment too. My BIL was sort of a mechanic and I'm going over so he can look at it. Think it just needs an alignment now.
Made a fairly good score in the napa while I was getting that track bar.
They had an ongoing tool sale and I was looking for a 1/2" impact.
I spotted a decent looking one and the sale sticker said 106.$ So I said I'll have that one. Someone had mismarked the price and it was supposed to be on sale for 160. not 106. Well I didn't know that but the clerk told his boss and he decided that I was getting the thing for 106. So good on napa. :)
Then I bought a S&W m10 38 from some hippy/hobo looking dude. I didn't fair so well on that deal. Should be a fair shooter if the bad crown doesn't affect accuracy and I had to operate on it. :smokin:

OP
OP
M

meistermash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well so we checked the toe out and that seems to be good. Only thing is now I'll be tearing the right side apart to put in the axle seal that's now leaking. :(

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
While you have it all apart, it pays to replace the u-joints, balls joints, and wheel hub if you haven't done them recently.

OP
OP
M

meistermash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
:Stupid Me:Yea did all those. I even had he seal for the rt side

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads