Fuel pump is going out...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag
Sooo my fuel pump seems to be going out. I'm assuming pulling the bed is the easiest way to replace it? Probably gonna do it myself and save a couple hundred bucks. Also should I get a stock one or go for an upgraded one since I plan on doing engine mods?

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
If the tank is near empty, dropping it would is easier. If it's pretty full, raising the bed is easier.
I honestly don't know of any upgraded pumps with out having to physically pull the pump out of the tank unit

OP
OP
rammanriley20

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag
If the tank is near empty, dropping it would is easier. If it's pretty full, raising the bed is easier.
I honestly don't know of any upgraded pumps with out having to physically pull the pump out of the tank unit
My tank is pretty much always near empty lol the struggle

kpd12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I recently replaced my fuel pump. I chose to pull the bed, with assistance of course. The most time consuming part was waiting for my help to return to put the bed back on. LOL I just grabbed an OEM replacement pump at O'Reillys.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
5 pumps later never once pulled the box. Tank full of gas or not I dropped the tank.

OP
OP
rammanriley20

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag
5 pumps later never once pulled the box. Tank full of gas or not I dropped the tank.
Well you're lifted too so that's probably easier

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you plan on keeping it for a long time, measure where the connectors are and where the fuel hat is and make a hole in the floor of the box over them and make a removable cover. Did this on my '99 about 4 months after I bought it. Came in handy a couple times over the next 7 years as I had 3 pumps fail due to bad gas and/or water in the tank over winter.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Well you're lifted too so that's probably easier

Lifted or not I would have dropped the tank over pulling the box. I will never cut a hole in the box floor. Dropping the tank is to easy guys and when it's out you can clean the inside of the tank. Why put a nice new pump in a tank that has or might have **** in it.

OP
OP
rammanriley20

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag
Lifted or not I would have dropped the tank over pulling the box. I will never cut a hole in the box floor. Dropping the tank is to easy guys and when it's out you can clean the inside of the tank. Why put a nice new pump in a tank that has or might have **** in it.
Isn't it really easy to break the tank straps? My truck isn't rusty so maybe not

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
I had no problem with the tank straps, even found a spoon lodged in the plate. I did break the plastic fuel line since it got caught and snapped. I don't remember why I dropped the tank since I later replaced the pump.