Gas line freeze problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fostagnasty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Have '97 5.2 that I "believe" is having issues with gas line freeze. Yes, its' a gas truck, and I realize gasoline freezes somewhere near 40 degrees below zero, but I suspect water in the gas from a station that's given me bad gas before. (I don't seem to learn). Here's how it went down.

Truck sits for a couple of weeks in 20 degree weather (doesn't get driven much) on a quarter of a tank of gas. Crank engine, doesn't fire at all. Add HEET, let it sit a couple of hours, fires a bit. Let it sit the night, and it starts right up. Fill up tank (at bad gas station, very close and convenient) to avoid condensation potential, truck does fine for a week. Then last night in 32 degree weather after sitting a couple of days shows same phenomenon, cranks with absolutely no firing. Wife adds another bottle of HEET, but this time, after sitting, I get no love. I have yet to check for spark and when cranking engine I can hear the fuel pump run.

Anyone had a problem with these trucks and recurring gas line freeze maybe due to the way they're ventilated? Are these trucks prone to fuel pump issues? Am I possibly damaging the fuel pump by trying to start it with frozen gas lines. Hoping when the weather warms up it'll start.

Any insight would be appreciated

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Most fuel treatments can absorb a certain volume of water and carry it harmlessly through the combustion chamber. If you suspect water you'll need to get it out of the tank. When you get no start, if you have an in-line fuel filter, it may be freezing with water in it. :(