General Mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HcaTK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I just bought a 2002 cummins, has the 24 valve with a 6 speed tranny, 4wd 3/4 ton.

I plan to do some towing, but it's main purpose will be as a DD

What mods can I install, not to reach 1000 horsepower, but to make the truck have the most reliability, as well as increase the power.

I've only owned gassers, this is a whole new ballgame for me owning a diesel. I'm assuming the general cold air intake, upgraded fuel deliveraly (Fass system?) and a tuner?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Myself, there's a few things i would look at doing.

Cold air or cotton drop in. Likely cold air simply for convenience and looks.
Lift pump
Full exhaust
Smarty tuber so you can adjust to your specific driving style

Honestly those few things will alone completely transform the way it behaves

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
A decent air filter will increase performance far more than any 'cold air intake'

Cold air intakes are lost and pointless on turbo diesels anyway. A bigger or better intercooler is what will get you the increase, still not at much as replacing an old clogged air filter with a new one though.

Lift pump can be done as a precautionary measure, when they go out if you keep running the injection pump dry you can damage it, thats a pretty penny to replace.

In my experience on RVs and medium duty trucks, the difference between OEM and high performance lift pumps is minimal without some sort of tune or modification to how it runs.