Grinding noise help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramfan96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.2
I have a 1996 dodge ram 1500 reg cab short bed 4x4 5.2. As it has been snowing where I live lately naturally I have been drifting and beating on my truck. This is when the problem arose. After drifting every time I would accelerate there would be a terrible grinding noise. It sounds like a gear that isn't meshing right. It comes from right behind the dash but when you have the windows open you can tell its not in the cab. It runs and drives perfect still. I think it may be the gear for the speedo cable. Any other ideas?

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
The speedo on these trucks are driven electrically so that is not what you are hearing sad to say. If you can, remove the rear drive shaft, then remove the tail housing on the xcase. There is a c clip that holds the output shaft/bearing in place make sure its still there, there is a better opt for this c clip and it's called a transfer case saver (google it as I don't have the link at hand).

The next thing to check would be the rear diffs pinion bearing then if you have the factory limited slip would be to pull the diff cover off and inspect it.

Hope this gets you started in the right direction. The factory fsm's are here on RF for you to download, might be a good idea if you don't have it already.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

ramfan96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.2
the truck still runs and drives completely normal. i dont know if that would change anything, but its only when i accellerate. if i accellerate smoothly from a dead stop it will grind up until im at coasting speed but if when i hear it start grinding i snap the gas pedal and it grinds a little louder but then goes away.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
You have to get under the truck and start checking things I listed, best I can say for now.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
If it is a Bearing you won't go far until complete failure, at least that's what happened to me, cost me a rear Axle shaft as well, I was Pissed but in the end swapped everything bearing/axle/shaft related in and out on the Truck (Less the Rear Drive Shaft). Merc has a point here gotta start checking things, at least visually but I also learned that if you think its coming from the front its likely a problem in the rear and you can be easily fooled. Keep diagnosing it Man.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

ramfan96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.2
I stopped driving the truck then had to take it out again the other day. Grinding noise was still there except this time it won't shift out of first gear! Reverse works fine and even if I try to "manually" shift on the column it won't up shift. I read it could be the governor solenoids but am also wondering if the grinding messed anything up to cause that