Has anyone added anything where the second battery tray would go?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djturnz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Ok, so my previous RAM (94) had all sorts of room on the passenger side inner fender, where the second battery box would have been on a diesel.
My 98 has a bit less room, but it's still an open and inviting place.

I found a thread on another forum a while back asking for pictures of what people added in that spot. I recall mostly air horns, the intake, and one guy bolted a tool box down there.

Have any of you added anything to that spot? Pics if you did.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Well i had a spectre intake filter there but after i bolted on my 52mm F&B tb i couldn't use it anymore so i left the box and booked a catch can to it. Coworker built a box to carry some basic tools, tow strap, things like that and put it in the same place in his chevy. Kinda thought about doing that

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I had a second battery mounted there for awhile, had it hooked up to an RV solenoid to disconnect it from the starter battery when the ignition was off and used it to power the 12v acc plug as well as a 4Kw inverter.

Now it sits open again because im going to be mounting two 8wx6lx9d PA horns on both sides with a 75 watt rms amp powering the two off my CB. If there is enough room afterwards, the battery is going back in.

I had a sort of E-start system. It was a switch under the dash that would switch the solenoid from ignition switch operation to 'override' mode which basically hooked the solenoid coil up to the second battery positive. So in case my primary battery died I could flip a switch and start my truck off the second battery. It has been useful on a couple occupations.

joshputman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Remote trans filter. Removed check valve and installed the filter. Keeps the torque converter full and provides extra filtration.

Bolted the adapter on the inner fender.

Win, win.

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

OP
OP
D

djturnz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Remote trans filter. Removed check valve and installed the filter. Keeps the torque converter full and provides extra filtration.

Bolted the adapter on the inner fender.

Win, win.

Got any pictures?

joshputman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got any pictures?
Ask and ye shall receive.

308eac98450a613122c70addc811a826.jpg

334bcfdcdf80ae6b011a9931bb684510.jpg

c85d5741d0519fb40019f3265f21a812.jpg

d46333c52f5fb6476becd0c6078b253d.jpg

It is a B&M kit. I ordered it through Advance Auto. It comes with a filter, and calls for a Fram PH43 as a replacement.

I usually just find the biggest filter I can that has the same thread and gasket size.

I just mounted it directly to the inner fender, so the filter sits at an angle, which makes it a bit messy to change. I need to fabricate a bracket so the filter sits vertical, but I just haven't done it yet.

Also, I used fuel injection hose clamps instead of standard worm gear clamps. It is my understanding that they hold better. So far, so good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eddo