Heard a clunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I got into the truck, started it, and attempted to drive away when the rear end clunked and kinda bounced like I'd hit a small log. I'd gone about 3 feet. I got out and couldn't find anything wrong or near it or anything like that. Weird part is that it seems to run better now. I think it came from driverside rear wheel area.

OP
OP
dapepper9

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
no, it sounded like tranny problem but it came from the rear, I was thinking the axle did something but it's running great. I'm just a bit confused with it

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Your u-joints may have been binding and had decided to come unstuck. You might check 'em.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
More like rear end parts failed. Does this truck have an LSD in the rear? Pull the brake drums and have a look make sure all is well.

OP
OP
dapepper9

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
nah shes a stock 01 laramie, open diff, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the ujoints, fronts were replaced about a year ago after 9 years of being driven HARD lol

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Could still have a problem in the rear end. Often times the pinion bearings will wear out and cause the pinion to walk, which means it doesnt stay straight, but tilts. Over time that can get so bad that the ring and pinion bind on each other under the right load, which can cause a clunk on acceleration, deceleration, or sudden changes in load like going from flatland to a hill.

jf5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
When i heard the loud thunk from my rear end it was my spider gears destroying themselves. Great time to upgrade from a Open rear to a trak loc.