Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kat4465

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I got a major problem with my 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L truck. I started drivin it 6 months ago after my minivan died in my driveway. My husband got a Dodge work truck, so this one is now mine. Here's a brief history: He'd been drivin it with a bad heater core (water pourin into the cab) for about a year. He said it wasn't overheatin. Yeah, right. I couldn't afford to replace the heater core so I bypassed it instead. Then I replaced the water pump, radiator, thermostat, and the lower transmission oil cooler line. He damaged the fitting while trying to remove the line. It was still sluggish and just not right. Orange gunk and oil in the radiator (head gasket according to Auto Zone), transmission fluid still leakin also. I put in new spark plugs and wires ( I think the old ones were original). He set the gap to .055 instead of .040. It'll start and drive, kinda, as long as I don't go over 20 mph. It makes a thwump sound when I accelerate. 3 "mechanics" have looked at it, and no solution as yet. I don't have the money to go to a mechanic that I trust. I'm disabled, and my hands don't work like they used to due to MS. I know more about cars than my husband, which ain't sayin much. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Does the radiator stuff look orange or more like a lightly colored chocolate milk? Both could cause overheating

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
Could be your trans cooler in the radiator busted, possibly a new/used radiator will solve your issue. Also the tranny lines can be cut and spliced together if needed with clamps.

I'd put the spark plug gap where it needs to be .40 (or less I don't recall exact). If it runs bad a lesser gap will allow it to spark easier.

Max78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Reading it they replaced the "water pump, radiator, thermostat, and the lower transmission oil cooler line" So I would suspect that is unlikely that its a bad radiator but it does happen. Check your engine oil and make sure its not milky at all, do the same for your transmission.

My guess is that with the leaky heater core the heads were void of coolant and a head managed to either warp or crack.

If you have milky engine oil have a Dry and wet compression test done, also have a leak down test done. If your mechanic can't tell you anything from those numbers find a new one, and post the numbers here.

If your transmission fluid is milky looking then it is most likely a bad radiator.

One of the things that I notice is, when you have a leak in the cooling system the heads drain first, and even with half your cooling system full your temp sensor can still show "normal" operating temp.

I had a bad freeze plug in in the trans bell housing, I drove it to work one day and it started to ping like a son-of-a, the temp gauge never showed temps in the red. I popped the rad cap and it was mostly empty.

As for the spark plug gap, I run mine at .050-.055 and have not seen any ill effects, but I also keep on top of my ignition system, fresh cap, rotor, and wires, coil is still going strong. If you have an old, dirty cap and rotor it might not like that large of a gap, especially as the plugs wear down.

Good luck and keep us updated. :happy107: