Hindsight is always 20/20

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Who would have thought that my brother-in-law had no wire management skills.

So I have been trying to track down some strange issues for a while now. The truck seemed to behave when the ambient temps were in the 70f range but 80-90f the truck began to act strange. The torque converter would seem to lock at highway speeds ranging from 60MPH to 75MPH and then randomly unlock. Then lock back again. It would only happen at those speeds. Anything higher or lower and it wouldn't do it. It would also idle rough. The hotter it's been getting the more I noticed other issues like the truck would jerk, almost like it shifted down but wasn't getting enough throttle to go. I knew that wasn't what was happening because the RPMs would stay the same so I ruled that out and was almost certain that the engine was cutting out and not getting spark to a cylender or 2. Except there haven't been a CEL in about 3 months for a misfire. Well today I figured I'd do the old cat test. Pull the upstream O2 sensor and give it a short drive, except I didn't even get past idle and a few revs. I immediately no noticed it. A damn misfire. So I proceeded to trace wires thinking maybe my brother-in-law had them in the wrong order or at least one. Nope all checked out.. but I did find the problem for the idle issue and possibly the cutting out issue. I kid you not, it looked like someone tried to braid them all together and run them that way. So I did some rerouting and ziptie magic making holders using zipties.

Like I said hindsight.... He did a full tune-up on the truck while I did the plenum plate. Though I will say who would have thought that "8mm MSD wires" would cross ark like that. 70MPH that truck ran beautiful until I got to 75 and I was instantly reminded that she needs new tires and an alignment. :)

Fingers crossed that by some fluke this helps the TC issue. I did have a 92 Jeep that for some reason at WOT and a clogged cat wouldn't shift into 3rd. So who knows.

Just figured I would share.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I don't know what you are talking about!

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Not sure if you are joking or not. XD

I just found it to be a confusing post. I typically make confusing posts as what I write is not how I want it to sound but my mind is more detailed than my writing.

OP
OP
Shadow_Death

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It looks like it was just the long way of telling us his brother-in-law is an idiot.:crazy:

Well more or less me tracking down this issue that turned out to be his mistake. The problem I typically have when I sum stuff like that up to , "I had a misfire and it turned out to be wires searly tangled". People then say, "why?" To which I answer, then once more "why?" It I end up telling the whole story anyway. :pp:

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Braiding spark plug wires. Huh, can't say I've ever heard of that one. Maybe all the people who "shave" their vehicles are looking for some new form of "hair care" that they can perform on their vehicles.

I really have no idea what the hell I'm talking about, LOL.

OP
OP
Shadow_Death

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just found it to be a confusing post. I typically make confusing posts as what I write is not how I want it to sound but my mind is more detailed than my writing.

Yup I have that same problem, either that or I can't keep my thoughts organized when I express them.

Braiding spark plug wires. Huh, can't say I've ever heard of that one. Maybe all the people who "shave" their vehicles are looking for some new form of "hair care" that they can perform on their vehicles.

I really have no idea what the hell I'm talking about, LOL.

That was the best way I could put it. The wire from the ignition coil to the top of the Distributor went right down the middle.