horn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

12vcummins59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
The horn in my 96 2500 isn't working, when I press the button there is a click from the pcm but no horn. What's the problem? Thanks

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
The horn doesn't interact with the PCM. You're probably hearing the horn relay. Just because it clicks, doesnt mean it works. Try swapping that replay with another. If that doesnt work, test for voltage or use a test lamp at the horn connector.

Come back with your findings.

OP
OP

12vcummins59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
It's getting voltage to the wires at the horn, I'm thinking I just need to get a new horn

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Then get a pair of jumper wires or cables and hook the horn directly to the battery, that will tell you real quick. Not that it applies in every case, but like relays, just because the multimeter reads power doesn't mean that much current can flow. Most digital multimeters have an impedance in the megaohms, they use miniscule amounts of current to tell what the voltage is. Its especially important to keep this in mind when working on vehicles that have lots of salt exposure.