Horn chirp on lock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I'm stumped at this point, i've tried all that I can think of minus one thing. Last week Wednesday I got home and locked my truck like normal,, it chirped the horn in confirmation. I let it sit till Sunday morning when I went to grab some stuff out of it, only when I hit the lock button, no chirp. The only thing that happened to the truck since it was last working is Sunday morning I decided to play with the key in the lock cylinder to try and get the other side to unlock. All I did was flip the key around from lock to unlock trying a couple different patterns. Also, the panic button no longer works. I've verified the horn works from they horn relay on down by depressing the horn.

The only thing I haven't done yet is remove the door panel to inspect the back of the lock cylinder. Other than that, I've checked both door ajar switches, pulled every relevant fuse to check including IOD, verified that both door lock switches and lock solenoids work, as well as ensuring neither connector on the CTM was loose.

I just remembered that I haven't tried disconnecting the battery yet, i'll try that this Friday or Saturday before I remove the door panel (I really want to know if I have the hardware for central unlocking as i'm considering putting in a security system my buddy has some experience with).

Any ideas are appreciated.

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Key fob battery?

OP
OP
D

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Key fob battery?

Shouldn't be, it locks and unlocks just fine with they keyfob. I can try a new battery in it, not like I have a shortage of them.

jsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1. Turn your ignition switch to the ON position without starting it. 2. Allow all lights and dings to stop. 3. On your fob press and hold the UNLOCK button for 4 seconds. 4. While still holding the unlock button press the LOCK button. 5. Release both buttons and one audible ding from the dash will be heard. This means that your horn chirp is programmed.

OP
OP
D

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
1. Turn your ignition switch to the ON position without starting it. 2. Allow all lights and dings to stop. 3. On your fob press and hold the UNLOCK button for 4 seconds. 4. While still holding the unlock button press the LOCK button. 5. Release both buttons and one audible ding from the dash will be heard. This means that your horn chirp is programmed.

No dice, the dash dinged once, but still no horn chirp. Guess i'm going to the schematics. Thanks though.

jsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well damn that sucks, this method has worked for me twice to get the horn chirp back(no idea why it stopped working either time)

OP
OP
D

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
I got to my buddies place earlier today and after doing some work on his volvo we got to my truck. I don't know which of the two thing fixed it , but we disconnected the battery and pulled the connectors off the CTM to check each terminal (We pulled the battery first, im not about to wreck my CTM by being lazy) Everything looked good so we hooked it back up and I decided to give it a go. What do you know it worked.

Thanks for that key trick Jsmith. Got any others?

GoldDot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Owners manual should tell you how to turn this feature on/off.