How can you fix 1500 Transmission problems????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

indyseriesnick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im looking into dodge rams, more specifically the late 90s early 2000s 1500s, but my dad used to have a 1997 1500 5.2 and he had serious transmission issues, just like many others.
I want to get one regardless, but I want to minimize the risk of having to sink more money into transmission repairs. So is there anyway I can fix it and not have any problems??

Ive heard of people putting in 2500 transmissions into the 1500, and Ive heard of people rebuilding the transmission before anything fails, but is there also other ways too??

92greenlx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Forgot to mention swapping out the auto and putting a 5 speed in too.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

ParrotHead FA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
Wish I had the extra money to do that with my Ram. Never been a big fan of automatic transmissions, but when I bought her new in 98, my credit sucked so I had to take one off the lot instead of ordering it from the factory with the 5 speed manual.
Dave

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There are some common failure points in the Gen II Automatics.
The 2500 transmissions are not immune to them.

A good transmission shop likely has the parts on the shelf to install while they rebuild it all. I really don't know the names of them all, but I can say when my Dad has his '98's rebuilt they added a gammut of fun new toys to it, and now with over 100K on it, it's still a BAMF. Shifts better than my '11 with 35k by FAR.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Unfortunatly...the 2500 at for a gasser is the same as the 1500s transmission. And the diesel and v-10 trannsmissions don't bolt up.

So the best thing to do is find a reputable shop, have your trans rebuilt and maintain it respectfully. Shift kits, larger coolers, H.D clutches and the like are good internal mods, but keeping the fluid, filter and lines clean and cool is a must.

A trans temp guage is highly reccomended.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
One other thing is the check valve/ball in the trans line located on the passenger side of the engine bay. This check valve/ball was installed by Dodge to prevent Torque convertor leak down (overnight parking). It didn't work but it did get clogged as the transmission aged preventing fluid flow. Anyways it is a short little 12 inch piece of hose that you can remove with some quick disconnected tools and 2 wrenches (can't remember the sizes). Check valve/ball is located on the side where the 2 wrenches were needed for removal. Use a screwdriver and make sure it the check valve plunges and such. Get a drill bit the exact same size as the opening and procede to drill the ball. When you finally drill though the ball remove it with a pick/scribe and remove the spring behind where the ball use to be. Then clean the line with brake kleen and make sure it is CLEAN. Clean up the rough edges left by the drill bit and re-install after you flush the trans cooler and lines.

Personally I would only do this if the trans fluid looked good when you first got the truck, just to act as a preventive. If the fluid looks black, may as well start finding a shop to rebuild it.

Aluminum

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
5.9L Magnum V8
There is no difference in the 1500 and 2500 transmissions my 2500 is on its 3rd or 4th when the truck was purchased with 85,000 miles it had a rebuilt tranny in it and it went out about 2000 miles later, its just dodge when they built the trucks they didnt put a quality tranny in them. The mechanic who put in my transmission told me to put the truck in neutral when I start it and let it warm up for a minute before driving it. He has a 2001 1500 sport and hasnt had a transmission problem. So maybe staring the truck in neutral and letting it warm up is the ticket.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Im looking into dodge rams, more specifically the late 90s early 2000s 1500s, but my dad used to have a 1997 1500 5.2 and he had serious transmission issues, just like many others.
I want to get one regardless, but I want to minimize the risk of having to sink more money into transmission repairs. So is there anyway I can fix it and not have any problems??

Ive heard of people putting in 2500 transmissions into the 1500, and Ive heard of people rebuilding the transmission before anything fails, but is there also other ways too??
If you are buying new, buy the extended warranty. A $100 deductible and the tranny remains Chrysler's problem. :headbang:

mumbles84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
The only time mine acted up was really cold days although if my vibration don't go away I will bee changbing the torq convertor

NavyGuy2007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
I have a '99 1500 Sport with the 360, sitting at a little over 188k and my auto tranny shifts fine. Ive had the truck for a year now. I dont know if its been rebuilt at all but it works great. But then again, its not my daily driver.

mumbles84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
lots of people dont take it out of over drive while making it work hard

mumbles84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
there threads on how to build a bullet prood re46 with parnumber its less than 1000

ParrotHead FA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
My '98 Ram has around 60k or so on it, with a lot of off roading and hauling, and my tranny has never given me any problems. I change the fluid and filter every year or so, regardless of mileage. When I had the bands adjusted, I had my tranny guy install one of his shift kits and reprogrammers. These work great to prevent a lot of needless up and down shifting when driving in city traffic or at low speeds. Basically, the trans won't shift to the next higher gear until you reach a preset speed, but still allows you to keep fuel economy and driveability because when you let your foot off the gas, the torque converter freewheels and lets the engine rpms drop to near idle speed, rather than keeping the rpms up like when you leave the truck in first or second gear manually. So it drives pretty much normally, except that if you're in slow moving traffic of say around 25-35 mph, the tranny remains in second the entire time rather than shifting between second and third as you move a bit faster and then slow down again. I have used one of these in every automatic transmission truck or musclecar I have ever owned, and I believe they really do save a lot of wear & tear on the transmission. On my Ram, the shift points are programmed at approximately 25 for 1st to second, 42 for second to third, and 53 for overdrive. I think a lot of automatics are set to shift too early from the factory, for comfort and driveability, and this causes the engine and tranny to work harder (especially in heavy vehicles like trucks & suv's) to accelerate the vehicle when turning low rpms. So i'll keep up the preventive maintenance, and hopefully my trans will last for many more years before needing a rebuild.
Dave

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
My 2001 has about 120k on it and its on its 4th tranny. It was rebuilt under warranty but not by the stealership. Local guy did it and on the last one noticed somethin that was causing it to basically kill itself. Its somethin about the bolts on the torque converter being too long and not allowing it to move as it should. Grinded them down a hair and since then its lasted about 75k. I'm not 100% at how well I'm describin this because my dads the one who went through this and I got the truck when I was 16 and he upgraded to a 05 Crapomax. My trannys shifting is gettin "sticky." The other day it wouldn't shift into 3rd and I had to throw it in neutral and let it coast for a sec before trying again

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the 46RE in 10 of my 1500 landscape trucks all '96-2001. We changed the tranny fluid and adjusted the bands RELIGIOUSLY. I never ever had to have one of the transmission rebuilt ever. And all those old beater Rams had 150-170K miles. I may be the only guy on the planet that says the 46RE and the 48RE (I had in my SRT) are excellent transmissions.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
just curious, how often is religiously with the filter and fluid? how many miles would you let it go before changing it?

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
every 10K miles. and we pulled lawn trailers loaded down with ZTR mowers, trees, you name it.