Howling, growling type noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sbone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 1998 ram 1500, 318, I have been noticing a howling, growling type noise coming from under my truck. This noise happens in all gears except neutral and reverse. The noise does not change with different speeds either, but the truck has to be moving in order to make it happen. How I know it doesn't do it in neutral is because I put the truck in neutral at to top of a long hill and coasted all the way to the bottom and it was quiet, I then did the same thing but left the truck in drive, both with the O/d on and off and it makes noise the whole way. I have checked the rear differential fluid level, it is good, and have cheeks the transmission fluid level, it is also good. I am lost as the what my next troubleshooting step it to narrow down the problem. Any help is appreciated and I'll answer questions to the best of my knowledge.

OP
OP
S

Sbone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What does that mean? I need to shell out the money for a new transfer case? Or what can I do?

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check fluid, you may be hearing gear noise due to low fluid. If you have low fluid you most likely have a bad seal, easy fix.

OP
OP
S

Sbone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alright, I can do that, what type of fluid does it take? And is there a write up somewhere on changing that seal?

OP
OP
S

Sbone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks, I'll get to the ASAP. I'll let y'all know what happens. Also have to tear the front end apart next weekend due to the axle shaft ujoints going bad

OP
OP
S

Sbone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Should I put an additive in with the fluid? Like they show in that video adding Lucas oil stabilizer?

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Personally, I do not believe in additives. I think they do more harm than good in the long run. But if you feel differently about them, it is a matter of personal preference. Good luck :)