I miss my Gen 2 Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
She was a 96 Long Bed 4X4. Best truck I ever owned. Found this pic cleaning up a hard drive. Stroked it at 188K, cylinders still had cross hatch marks in them. Original tranny serviced every 10K shifted like a champ when I sold it at 250K.

Attachments

• 96Ram408.JPG
    96Ram408.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 187

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
She was a 96 Long Bed 4X4. Best truck I ever owned. Found this pic cleaning up a hard drive. Stroked it at 188K, cylinders still had cross hatch marks in them. Original tranny serviced every 10K shifted like a champ when I sold it at 250K.

Ive heard ALOT of people say their old 2g ram was their favorite truck they have ever had!

LaurenMagnum360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 V8
i'm torn between my current ram and my previous 97 silverado. But as far as reliability and looks go my Ram is my favorite hands down.

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm on my third 2nd gen. First was a 99 1500, then it was a 96 2500 with the 12v. Now I'm on my current 01 and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

In fact, the wife gave me the limit of $600 a month for a "new" truck. We test drove tons of newer Chevy's, GMC's, Rams, F-150's, and a few Tundra's. I was actually in the process of test driving a 2014 Black Tradesman Express with the Hemi when I saw my truck chilling in the back lot. Salesman wasn't any help as soon as I started looking at it. Went from a 28k truck to a 8k truck wasn't a good enough sale I guess. Went back the next day, found another salesman. We took it for a drive, I fell in love. Went inside, ran some numbers. Bought it on a Wednesday, drove off the lot at 8pm with it. It was scheduled for death row Thursday before 8am.

The wife wasn't "pleased" at first when she found out instead of a newer truck I had purchased someone else's "headache" but as of now, my wife loves it. I got about $500 a month of play money per month going from a $600 payment to a $100 payment. The wife helps me pick everything out, come up with ideas, designs, and she's hooked on building the truck up almost as much as I am.

It's come a long ways from when I first bought it to now. I'll hopefully never get rid of it and just pass it along to one of my daughters for their first car.

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I miss my first and third 2nd gen Rams.

The first was a 2001 QC Sport with every option available. Ported the heads and stroked the block at 90K miles and drove it for another year or so, then a (former) friend borrowed it and blew the trans and rear end apart so I traded it for my Charger before the engine blew (which, the 2nd test driver to leave the dealer lot blew it up, lol)

And my 3rd one was a '99 SLT QC that I beat the ever loving **** out of - I had it on rolled on it's side a couple times, sank it into the MN River a couple times, bounced off a few trees, had a few trees bounce off of it and the damn thing just begged for more. It was done in by all the little things - bad brake caliper, bad driver seat springs, rear door on passenger side didn't latch for **** and the final nail was the pot hole that took the steering rack apart. The engine from this gentle giant went into my 4th gen2 Ram after that one threw a rod at about 130K. Then the rear end and trans started to fail, so I ditched that lemon and got my 4th Gen.

I did things wrong - I should have used the last one for parts on the '99 and kept the old gentle giant on the road AND buy the 4th Gen I have...

rammanriley20

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Mag
I've had 3 second gens. First one I still have, my 99 RCSB sport, put about 15k miles on it and I love it! Best truck I've ever owned. Never had a problem other than regular maintenance stuff. Bought it for like $2500 and I have like 6 times that much in aftermarket... Second gen 2 was a 2001 2500 ext cab v10. Would out pull a cummins, I swear. Those v10s are monsters. Eventually had to sell it because the rust was a headache and the brakes were all bad. And now I just got another. 99 ext cab 4wd beater. Tons of rust so I'm excited to finally have a truck I'm able to beat the hell out of and not care! I'll always be in possession of at LEAST one second gen.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've had 3 second gens. First one I still have, my 99 RCSB sport, put about 15k miles on it and I love it! Best truck I've ever owned. Never had a problem other than regular maintenance stuff. Bought it for like $2500 and I have like 6 times that much in aftermarket... Second gen 2 was a 2001 2500 ext cab v10. Would out pull a cummins, I swear. Those v10s are monsters. Eventually had to sell it because the rust was a headache and the brakes were all bad. And now I just got another. 99 ext cab 4wd beater. Tons of rust so I'm excited to finally have a truck I'm able to beat the hell out of and not care! I'll always be in possession of at LEAST one second gen.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

That's how I am with this truck. I had a lot of love for my 99, the 96 was a lemon but I had to have a diesel to be cool. The subject has come up to still get a newer vehicle for me to daily drive with 2 kids and one on the way, and I did suggest a 2nd gen 24v with the long bed, and I'd get it in a PR4 Sport to match my current truck, but I got the red flag, do not pass go, do not collect anything.

Good news is she likes the Rebel. I could see myself having one for DD duty.