i need some help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mng11650

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ram 1500
my dodge check engine light came on the other day it was a miss fire in cylinder 4,which was anything tune up..so i replaced the spark plugs which then the lights went off, then the temp gauge was all the way up and hot..so i replaced the thermostat...now i have everything back together correctly and tightned down but its leaking antifreeze pretty bad from around the thermostat area..i redid this several times and replaced the gasget a few times to thinking that was it any suggestions as to what it could be?

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well right off the bat, my heart sunk when I read leaking antifreeze.

While driving recently, have you noticed your temp gauge at all and where its been? Im not just talking about when you posted this, I always check my gauges time to time.

OP
OP
M

mng11650

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ram 1500
ya it always runs around 200 right in the middle..it never leaked antifreeze untill i changed the thermostat and i had a few people look over it just to make sure it was done right i have been at this all day

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Make sure you seated the t-stat the correct way

OP
OP
M

mng11650

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ram 1500
its sealed the right way,we redid it i wanna say 5 times to make sure..we would put it in seal it wait about 15 mins start it up then antifreeze came pouring out every time nothing seems to work

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
When I did my thermostat I did the gasket and also added the high heat gasket maker stuff too, just to make a better seal. But it could be as stated above with the warped water neck from getting being hot.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
When I did mine the hose that connects the intake to the water pump had a crack in it and it let loose after I replaced the t-stat. Maybe check that out.

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Are you sure it's leaking from the thermostat housing? I just got through replacing my entire cooling system (besides the radiator) less than a week ago.
How did the housing look? Mine was corroded around the top so I replaced mine

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
If Gasket alone is around the stat properly and sitting in the clean aluminum stepped seat on the Timing Chain Cover it should not leak. As Adam Wilkes said, check the housng with a straight edge or use a fine file to see if it is true, also where the bolts screw in is tempramental aluminum and the proper torque spec s required to ensure it is tight enough, however over tightened could cause leakage. I added some med blue thread locker last time I had mine off.