Info for new Dodge guy!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94_SLT_1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Hello everyone!!
I'm new around here and technically I do not own a dodge. However! I am going to look at one and depending on everyone's input. I will most likely be buying a 1994 Ram 1500 SLT. What I know about the truck is. It's lifted from the factory, has a roll bar and brush guard, also from the factory. It's an automatic 4x4 with the v8 5.9 magnum. I was told that the transmission was rebuilt. Most of the front end has been replaced. The only rust is on the bed and rocker panels of the cab. It's had the struts replaced with Ranchos. Now with that said it has 271,*** miles on it. I will be using it as a Daily Driver. The price is only $1,000 but my problem is I'm new to trucks. I'm an import guy...... which I'm sure most of the guys here are not fans of lol. But seriously, any input? Or feed back should I stay away from this thing? Should I jump on it? Any thing I should keep an eye out for? Thanks guys! Also most of the miles are highway miles.

jf5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Would really help if there were some pics.

That being said if the truck goes in a straight line down the road under her own power and stops with her own breaks and doesnt do anything weird in between those two things for a $1000 your prolly doing ok.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Just curious, what do you mean lifted from the factory? OffRoadEdition? If it's something higher with tires bigger than 33s you might have to do some axle work if it hasn't been done already

OP
OP

94_SLT_1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
There is and adjustment in the steering that needs to be made. Other than that I drove it it was fine. Yeah millage will be crappy... but I looked at it once and loved driving it. I was just told it was lifted from the factory lol. I think he said it was lifted 3 inches.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
That trucks got a level on it.
Not stock for sure, quite possible the dealer it was originally purchased from put coil springs from a 2500 under it, seen that before.

If it doesn't burn oil, tracks well (All these trucks wander, especially when you get wider tires), shifts good and doesn't slip, and has no wiring issues. I don't see why you couldn't daily drive it. Huge minus I see is the rockers, holy hell that one on the driver's side is bad. lol MPG will suck, but being a regular cab/short bed and having stock height tires it shouldn't be too bad.

OP
OP

94_SLT_1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
The only issue I thought with driving is. I could feel it shift. I said something to the guy. And mentioned to another guy. Both said it was probably due to the fact it is a fully hydraulic auto transmission that it was normal. I'm used to a manual import so I wouldn't know. And now that you say that all of it was done at the dealership not at dodge. Sorry I got it mixed up

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I can feel mine shift. The hydraulic vs electronic on these transmissions (46RH vs 46RE) only applies to overdrive. The shifts on these transmissions get slightly firmer the more you get on the throttle, so if you granny it, you'll likely barely feel it unless it has been rebuilt with a shift kit to make the shifts a bit firmer and grabbier all the time.

OP
OP

94_SLT_1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I see....... idk much about trucks like I said. But I want to learn and besides the miles 1,000 seems like a good deal.

OP
OP

94_SLT_1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Also tho. Its hard to say how hard its shifting. It doesn't really jerk you. But im used to a manual to there's no jerk when I drive

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
If the owner will let you, take it to a shop and get it checked out and have them do a compression and leak down tests on the engine to see what you're working with. At 271+k mi I'd expect some compression loss, but you don't want a ton of lost compression because that = REBUILD TIME. lol

As for the trans. IMO, you should be able to feel it shift. I don't like a sloppy tranny (oh God...it went there. lol), so to me, being able to feel it shift firmly, especially under moderate and heavy throttle inputs is a good thing. You especially want it to shift nice and firm, if not hard at WOT since that means it's not slipping.

OP
OP

94_SLT_1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
He shouldn't have a problem with that. I'll see about getting ot tested and post the results.

94 LIFTED RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
buy it!360's are great reliable engines...mine is a 94 with a 14" tuff country lift sitting on 40" super swampers and runs well.

OP
OP

94_SLT_1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I am, I figured for a thousand I'll chance it. I don't have time to do a compression test myself. The local shops want to much to do. Plus I know the guy he's a good honest guy.