Instrument cluster not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Waynesrage54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 5.9l 4x4 and the instrument cluster gauges dont work and it doesnt light up only when I turn the headlights on the headlight indicator lights up on the cluster. All the fuses are good except the illumination fuse it has no power on either side but the fuse is good. Truck starts and runs but none of the gauges work. Tried the cluster self diagnostic, but it didnt do anything. What could be the issue here?

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I don't think the gauge clusters in the 95's have the self-test feature.

I once had this exact same problem and ended up driving the truck for almost two months with basically no gauges. After checking basically everything, I finally fixed the problem by replacing the windshield wiper timer module.

Without going into detail, which is somewhat extensive, the problem is a short in the signal between the ECU and the gauge cluster along the BUS line. It could be anything from a faulty module (wiper timer, air bag, radio) to a blown fuse, a bad wire or even a fault within the cluster or ECU itself.

Honestly, all I can say is good luck. Like I said, I spent two months trying to fix this problem in mine and I honestly got lucky with replacing the wiper timer module since it seemed to be a relatively common cause of failure and I was batting zero with everything else.