Interchangeable parts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AARON915

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9L
Hey all,

I have a 2001 ram 1500, v8 5.9L thats 2wd. I found a 98 1500 thats 4wd with a blown tranny for $700. Would it be worth buying it to put parts on my truck and then part out whatever I don't use?

The main parts I need for my truck are a hood/grill, headlights, driver door, maybe a couple fenders for the front wheel wells.

Would the parts from the 98 fit my 01? Any help would be great :)

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
The suspension up front is not compatible, neither is the transmission. The engines are completely compatible for the most part, might be a different connector here or there but nothing that would take more than 5 minutes to fix. I don't know when the changes were made, but there was a slight change made to the spacing on the bolts between the hood and spring loaded hinges. The grills should be the same, fenders are probably the same but I don't know for sure.

The real question is, what's wrong with your truck? List everything out and get prices for used parts, if it meets or exceeds the $700, buy the truck for parts, if not, don't expect that you'll make up a $400 difference parting it out. Always expect unforeseen expenses such as the cost for the tow to scrap it if no one picks it up from you, non reusable parts such as gaskets or bushings for parts you might be swapping, etc.

OP
OP
A

AARON915

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9L
There's nothing major wrong with my truck besides an exhaust leak. The parts I listed in my first post that I'd want from this truck are all I need because the ones on my truck are rusted or broken in one way or another.

From what I've seen online for prices for all these parts, it seems like I'd maybe be better off buying this whole truck for parts, then parting out whatever I don't use. I've got 10 acres of land so wouldn't need to worry about scraping. My family used to just bury cars when they were done with them lol

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Trans is certainly compatible. Only real thing you'd have issue with is front suspension. Trans you just remove t case from the 4x4, remove the tailshaft from 2wd and swap em. Only other differences are minor sensor swaps