Just bought 97 Dodge Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olblue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2l
Hello all,

New to Dodge, new to American cars, new to the forum.

Just picked up a 97 1500 SLT Laramie 4x4 172k on the clock. picked it up for $1300 which was a steal for around here.

Some known issues I have,

It was manufactured in 11/96 so it is still ODBI.

When I first picked up the vehicle it did not have a check engine light on. After I bought it, a few miles down the road it turned on. Read into it and the ******* disconnected the battery and cleared it all. Codes I read were 12 (disconnected battery) 51 (engine running lean?) 12, and 77.

Was a 85 mile drive home and put in $45 worth of gas (gas at $3.14/gal) and went through it all. Ouch. Guessing that the computer was trying to richen the fuel air mix and was dumping fuel like mad before it went into a limp mode. Also while being in 5th gear it could not go up any hill of any size. and when i would try to set the cruise it would climb up higher. Id set it at 65 and before i knew it i was at 75.

Check engine light is still on, MPG isnt as bad but still should be better.

Checked for vacuum leaks and could not hear any hissing. No obvious cracking tubes. Stumped. Would a bad O2 sensor throw this code? any ideas?

Next would be the steering is very sloppy. This being my first solid axle vehicle it is all new to me. From what I've read and understand it is my pitman arm that is causing the steering wheel to have "play" before it actually starts to steer/turn.

Power Steering fluid also leaks. Not very fast but does drip. Cant source it down to where its coming from. Any common places?

Thanks everyone in advance,
D.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
First off, welcome to RF!

Secondly, read this: http://www.ramforum.com/f61/plenum_gasket_what_where_what_should_i_do_about_*info*-37635/

Thirdly, you have OBDII as 96 was the crossover year. Early 96s were OBDI, mid-year and later 96s were OBDII as was all of 97.

It is quite likely that your O2 sensors need to be replaced or it's even possible that your cat is gutted and the rear O2 is pitching a fit.

As for your steering, that's pretty common. Your steering box itself likely has a bunch of slop in it but go ahead and check your linkages to make sure they're not the ones exacerbating the problem.

As for your PS fluid, it might be leaking from the box like mine is. lol Check your hoses, reservoir and cooler.

mumbles84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Just remeber you got it cheap for a reason if you dont have patience get out of it now i drove $600 chevy caviler all i could i afford never stuck an extra dime in only fix. It when broke never change the oil in the 10,000mi i own it. Just made sure it didnt leak any i have stuck $1000 in my ram still have more to spend on it . This truck has more power than the ford or chevys i have owned. Good luck they are great trucks once you get the bugs out

OP
OP
O

olblue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2l
Took off the airbox today and replaced the filter. Replaced the throttle body gasket CORRECTLY and magic! CEL went away. Love when things go right. Appreciate the welcome. Will look into the plenum and see if it has been replaced. At 172k I would think (hope) this had been done already.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk