Leaking fuel from fuel line/ fuel rail connection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

870master

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 v8 360
to start, i have a 1997 ram 1500 5.9 v8 360

recently i have been experiencing some fuel leakage coming from the fuel rail/ fuel line connection. the rail is plastic, the line is metal and had 3 o rings on it (2 blue, one black) currently to solve my problem, i disconnect the fuel line from the rail via a quick disconnect clip the slides down and over the line. then slide the line in and reinstall the clip.... that stops the leaking

ive noticed if i wiggle the line it will spray gas, or if the line is pushed in too far it will spray gas. im not really sure what is goin on here. has anyone else experienced this?

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
If you live anywhere cold it's likely the plastic has become hard over time. In combination with the rubber gaskets slowly hardening, you are looking at age related leaking. Replacing the fuel rail and rubber o-rings is all thats needed to fix the problem. Plastic will have the same problem again in 10-15 years if its new, if used it may not fix it at all.

Metal really is the way to go, i'd still replace those o-rings though.

OP
OP

870master

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 v8 360
thanks for the suggestions, i replaced the black o ring before so i really do not think that is the problem. ill look into getting a metal rail. if im not mistaken, the metal rail have a different fuel line connection too, correct? my fuel line is the male, and my rail is the female connection.

OP
OP

870master

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 v8 360
and i live outside chicago, so it does get pretty cold in the winters