Led headlight issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

esiegel91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 v8
OK so I bought led headlights to replace my HIDS I got them all installed and turned them on and the left one is dim, but the right side is very bright. So I called the company they sent me a new one. I installed the new set...same exact issue. Any ideas? By the way my truck is a 01 sport and when I turn on the lights all the lights come on not just the lows. Any ideas would be great. Thanks

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
brand LEDS?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
have you tried swapping with the other side to see if it is possibly an issue with wiring?

OP
OP
esiegel91

esiegel91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 v8
have you tried swapping with the other side to see if it is possibly an issue with wiring?

Yes I sure have. Thought it was the bulb at first so I switched bulbs, left stays dim, so I swapped the ballasts, left still dim.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Have you verified that the connector is fully seated? Turn em on and squeeze the connectors together and see if it gets bright. One thing I've noticed is very common is those connectors on LEDs and HID harnesses is that they don't match a factory bulb very well and are very loose. I wrap a zip tie between the wires to keep it tight together

OP
OP
esiegel91

esiegel91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 v8
Yeah I did, they even have a little screw that pulls them in together real well. I don't know, I'm at a loss. I never had this issue with my HIDS but they also had a wiring harness that ran off of the battery so I dont know if that played a part or not, I was thinking about ordering a CANBUS link to see if maybe it just needs a resistor or something.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
Have you verified that the connector is fully seated? Turn em on and squeeze the connectors together and see if it gets bright. One thing I've noticed is very common is those connectors on LEDs and HID harnesses is that they don't match a factory bulb very well and are very loose. I wrap a zip tie between the wires to keep it tight together

that still wouldn't explain why both hi and low beam come on when lights are turned on.

do you have a relay harness? it almost sounds like wires are mixxed up and ground terminal for the light is getting power which is causing power to escape to the high beams.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
that still wouldn't explain why both hi and low beam come on when lights are turned on.

do you have a relay harness? it almost sounds like wires are mixxed up and ground terminal for the light is getting power which is causing power to escape to the high beams.

If I'm not mistaken, the issue isn't one is high beam and the other is low beam. It sounds like the issue is one is dim and barely lit and one is normal like it should be

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Also, being a sport and an 01, factory is quad headlamps. Low beam bulb is a 9007 and high is 9004. The connectors for these LOOK the same but wire pins are in a different order. Possible you mixed them up on that side

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Think i found it. Looks similar to the kit i had for awhile.

The connector seating i was talking about, is not the one thing to the bulb. The truck harness to control box connectors up at the top of this pic are what i meant. They don't seat well.
Screenshot_20161104-073807.jpg
Also, did you get a 9004 kit or 9007 kit?

OP
OP
esiegel91

esiegel91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 v8
If I'm not mistaken, the issue isn't one is high beam and the other is low beam. It sounds like the issue is one is dim and barely lit and one is normal like it should be

Both problems are actually correct. One problem is that the left headlight is extremely dim (so dim I can see my corner marker light more than headlight) and the other problem is that when I turn the lights on I get both highs and lows at the same time. Here's a link to the kit. It's a very basic kit. https://www.snagshout.com/offers/broview-s7-hb1-9004-led-headlight-bulbs-co/6c080

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
looks like you might have ordered the wrong lights for the low beams. this is why the highs are also on
fetch

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
^^yep. Need to start there. That kit will work fine for your high beams but unless you repin the connector pictured above to 9007 it won't work for your lows

OP
OP
esiegel91

esiegel91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 v8
Sorry no I got the 9007 kit I just got that link off that website for quick reference. But I definitely ordered the 9007 for the low beams

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
did you possibly change anything when you installed the hid's? to me is still sounds like the low and ground power wires were switched even if it was only on the 1 side. was there a relay kit with the hid's? that would possibly explain why 1 side is funny but the other isn't. is there any splices near the headlight connector on the light that is dim?

OP
OP
esiegel91

esiegel91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 v8
did you possibly change anything when you installed the hid's? to me is still sounds like the low and ground power wires were switched even if it was only on the 1 side. was there a relay kit with the hid's? that would possibly explain why 1 side is funny but the other isn't. is there any splices near the headlight connector on the light that is dim?

No, no splices near the headlight or anywhere for that matter. Everything is stock and nothing looks to be tampered with, when I installed the hids I do remember having an issue with the pins however I only changed them on the hids connector not the factory connector.