Led headlight issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
you might have to do the same thing with the led's. you can try unplugging each side individually to see which side is causing the highs to stay on

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The sports are tricky. I tried quite a few different brands before I found some that work right. XKGlow worked great but the bulbs were anodized red and when I turned on the headlights they appeared pink so I switched to a cheap ebay set which didn't even work.

Currently I run Putco Cree's, my only issue is my high beam bulbs don't turn on, and the lower section (high beam) on my low beams come on when I turn the fog lights on. Doesn't really matter as the headlights don't get any brighter, it just illuminates the lower section of the housings which act more like a fog light.

I've thought about messing with the wiring to get the high beams to work correctly, but I have a set of non sport headlights I'm going to build and haven't messed with it since buying all my stuff.

OP
OP
esiegel91

esiegel91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 v8
If I knew what I had to do I'd definitely do it.. Unfortunately when it comes to electrical I'm a moron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i would start by just unplugging each light 1 at a time to see which one is causing the highs to stay on. i don't know what your thoughts on it are but installing a relay harness would most likely solve your issue with them but it is throwing more money at it.

OP
OP
esiegel91

esiegel91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 v8
i would start by just unplugging each light 1 at a time to see which one is causing the highs to stay on. i don't know what your thoughts on it are but installing a relay harness would most likely solve your issue with them but it is throwing more money at it.

Know where I can get a relay harness for that type of setup?

OP
OP
esiegel91

esiegel91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 v8
Do I just need a basic relay harness? If the pins are in fact wrong though will this fix it?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
you would likely need to order the ones for the sports headlights. that is the better thing about a relay harness. i would have no hesitation about cutting up a relay harness and modifying it to work with the lights.

OP
OP
esiegel91

esiegel91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 v8
you would likely need to order the ones for the sports headlights. that is the better thing about a relay harness. i would have no hesitation about cutting up a relay harness and modifying it to work with the lights.

Oh that's true.

OP
OP
esiegel91

esiegel91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 v8
$60 for a relay harness though. No thanks lol I'll just splice into the leds harness lol or just try and push the pins out of the connector and put them the way they need to be.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
ya they can be a bit expensive sometime. i usually build my own. the connectors are always the most expensive part.

if you can push the pins out that would be the best thing to try first. you only need to swap the 2 pins

OP
OP
esiegel91

esiegel91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 v8
ya they can be a bit expensive sometime. i usually build my own. the connectors are always the most expensive part.

if you can push the pins out that would be the best thing to try first. you only need to swap the 2 pins

Which two? I have 3 pins on Each.

OP
OP
esiegel91

esiegel91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 v8
Which two? I have 3 pins on Each.

So I just went out and switched the pins in every combination on both sides and nothing would light up all the leds on the left side. Even doubling them up. So I don't know. And my high beem only stays on on the left side also. Not sure what's going on here.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Been away, let me clarify because going through everything I'm a little confused.

So, you have HIDs and LEDs correct?
HIDs work fine but LEDs are messed up?
You bought a 9007 LED kit correct?
LED are the high beam bulb?

If you answer yes to those 4 questions, the problem is going to be the specific LED set you bought. 9004 is used in the high beam spot

OP
OP
esiegel91

esiegel91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 v8
OK. So let me clarify....I HAD HIDS with a relay harness...took the hids off for this 9007 LED kit for my lowbeams only, so no more hids at all. Just stock high beams and led low beams. Right hand led works fine, left hand led is super dim (only half of the leds work on the bulb, tried 3 different led bulbs on this side and all same result) also my high beam on the left side is stuck on with the dim led.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
wait you got a relay harness for the hid's? you should try using that with the led's. it may fix your issue.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Ok thx. I got all mixed up lol.

Have you tried using a multi meter to check the voltages the plugs are getting?

I doubt a relay harness is going to solve the problem, these LED kits draw very little power compared to factory bulbs and the control box they use does the job of a relay harness

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
a relay harness wouldn't straight up solve the issue but i wouldn't feel as bad about hacking up a relay harness as i would the factory harness

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Ok thx. I got all mixed up lol.

Have you tried using a multi meter to check the voltages the plugs are getting?

I doubt a relay harness is going to solve the problem, these LED kits draw very little power compared to factory bulbs and the control box they use does the job of a relay harness

+1 But from what I remember you had no issues running the HIDs and stock halogens, correct?

OP
OP
esiegel91

esiegel91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 v8
wait you got a relay harness for the hid's? you should try using that with the led's. it may fix your issue.

Had one but I cut it up uninstalling it, plus it was specifically for the hids. The plugs wouldn't have worked for the stock connectors..