Led headlight issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
esiegel91

esiegel91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 v8
+1 But from what I remember you had no issues running the HIDs and stock halogens, correct?

No the hids worked great. I should have stuck with them....grass is always greener

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
esiegel91

esiegel91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 v8
Ok thx. I got all mixed up lol.

Have you tried using a multi meter to check the voltages the plugs are getting?

I doubt a relay harness is going to solve the problem, these LED kits draw very little power compared to factory bulbs and the control box they use does the job of a relay harness

No I haven used a multimeter. I have one but don't know what I'd be looking for in each of the pins to be honest

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
No the hids worked great. I should have stuck with them....grass is always greener

Yeah what you've got going on is definitely odd.

What kit are you using?

OP
OP
esiegel91

esiegel91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 v8
Any suggestions guys I'm at a loss.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
take all the wires out of the connector and figure out which 2 turn the led on. then figure out which wire is getting power with the low beem on. then shove the power wire into the those connectors.

OP
OP
esiegel91

esiegel91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 v8
take all the wires out of the connector and figure out which 2 turn the led on. then figure out which wire is getting power with the low beem on. then shove the power wire into the those connectors.

Using a voltmeter I take it?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
well you could probably use the led light as a test light once you figure out which wires turn it on

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
This won't help the dim on one side, bright on the other. But it may solve all the lights coming on at once.

I'm just going to throw this in there. Try taking a 240ohm 5Watt resistor (you can get away with a 1watt resistor from radioshack) and put it in parallel with the high beam on one of the lights at the factory plug for the factory incandescent lights. Since you have a sport, you will want to do this on the out lights, and between the violet and red/orange wires. Then try your headlights, but not for too long, that resistor will get hot running 8Watts through it.

If that solves your problem. Congratulations, welcome to Dodges messed up positive ground front lighting.

Otherwise, I can't really help you over the internet. There is just too much garbage to deal with. Its really my only complaint on these things, their stupid front lighting.

OP
OP
esiegel91

esiegel91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 v8
This won't help the dim on one side, bright on the other. But it may solve all the lights coming on at once.

I'm just going to throw this in there. Try taking a 240ohm 5Watt resistor (you can get away with a 1watt resistor from radioshack) and put it in parallel with the high beam on one of the lights at the factory plug for the factory incandescent lights. Since you have a sport, you will want to do this on the out lights, and between the violet and red/orange wires. Then try your headlights, but not for too long, that resistor will get hot running 8Watts through it.

If that solves your problem. Congratulations, welcome to Dodges messed up positive ground front lighting.

Otherwise, I can't really help you over the internet. There is just too much garbage to deal with. Its really my only complaint on these things, their stupid front lighting.

Well before I had seen this I actually saw these on eBay and they were cheap so I'm gonna try it. Never know.
0b2414c3f221cf3168ec7224d846c41d.jpg

OP
OP
esiegel91

esiegel91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 v8
Alright guys so I installed the harness with the resistors and still not working. Although both high beams come on now....WITH THE LOW BEAMS LOL. And the left headlight bulb only has 6 of the 12 leds working still.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Alright guys so I installed the harness with the resistors and still not working. Although both high beams come on now....WITH THE LOW BEAMS LOL. And the left headlight bulb only has 6 of the 12 leds working still.

Most LED lights are setup to turn on both highs and lows. Its a matter of cost savings. Why have two high power chipsets when you can have one high power set, and another slightly off color and lower power set. When the lows are on, the high power set is on, when highs are desired, the high power and the 'flash' set is on. It changes the color slightly and increases the brightness just a tad (usually by less than 8W). The combined color shift and slight increase is enough to make most people get the hint that you're flashing your highs.

LEDs are much brighter than halogen and most HIDs. I can see better with my LED lows than I could my halogen highs (im only running the outboard lamps now that I have LED compared to the quad highs with halogen).

As for half the bulbs being lit, thats a bulb issue or driver issue, not wiring from the truck.

OP
OP
esiegel91

esiegel91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 v8
Most LED lights are setup to turn on both highs and lows. Its a matter of cost savings. Why have two high power chipsets when you can have one high power set, and another slightly off color and lower power set. When the lows are on, the high power set is on, when highs are desired, the high power and the 'flash' set is on. It changes the color slightly and increases the brightness just a tad (usually by less than 8W). The combined color shift and slight increase is enough to make most people get the hint that you're flashing your highs.

LEDs are much brighter than halogen and most HIDs. I can see better with my LED lows than I could my halogen highs (im only running the outboard lamps now that I have LED compared to the quad highs with halogen).

As for half the bulbs being lit, thats a bulb issue or driver issue, not wiring from the truck.

Soooo.....got desperate and started checking fuses with my multimeter, turns out my Lh lamp 15 amp fuse was burnt out but not in the middle like they normally are. I guess that's what I get for not testing them with a multimeter in the first place. Thanks for all the help guys! IMG_0814.JPG