more brake issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

12vcummins59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
After replacing pads and shoes and bleeding my brake system the brakes aren't working very well at all. The brake pedal is stiff and if i stand on it they'll slow the truck down a little bit, but not very well at all. I did adjust the rear drums after changing everything. After driving around the block while dragging the brakes the whole time they were very hot but still not working very well. Please help

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
did you change any brake lines, calipers or wheel cylinders when doing your brake work?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
you shouldn't have had to bleed the lines if you only replaced the shoes and pads. do the brakes kind of feel the same with the truck off as it does with it running? if so i would be checking for vacuum at the brake booster.

OP
OP

12vcummins59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
you shouldn't have had to bleed the lines if you only replaced the shoes and pads. do the brakes kind of feel the same with the truck off as it does with it running? if so i would be checking for vacuum at the brake booster.

They do feel the same, also like they work a little bit better at higher rpm

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
There is also the possibility that when you were backing the caliper pistons back in, if you didn't open the bleeder screws and backed them up too fast, you shoved some crud into the master cylinder and now its jammed with rust or something.

I'd check the brake booster line first, but if they were working before, and now are not, you may be in for an unpleasant surprise.

OP
OP

12vcummins59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
What happens if it is crap shoved into the master cylinder??

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
You have to replace it......
And flush the entire system.

OP
OP

12vcummins59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Just got the thing ready to drive after 3 months,drive it once now get to deal with this I guess I'll start by checking the cheap easy things then go from there

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Just for future reference. If you cant get the bleeders open and have to back the pistons in, just take it slow. I never open the bleeders unless the car is new or the calipers are on a vehicle that hasn't seen a Michigan winter. It usually takes me 3 minutes to fully back each piston in, but on the hundreds and hundreds of brake jobs i've done, only a handful have ever had problems.

OP
OP

12vcummins59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Just for future reference. If you cant get the bleeders open and have to back the pistons in, just take it slow. I never open the bleeders unless the car is new or the calipers are on a vehicle that hasn't seen a Michigan winter. It usually takes me 3 minutes to fully back each piston in, but on the hundreds and hundreds of brake jobs i've done, only a handful have ever had problems.

I didn't open the bleeders but didn't go fast either, I would takes couple turns on the c clamp let it sit a few seconds then take another turn or two. I didn't have this problem before the I did the brakes either

OP
OP

12vcummins59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Today I messed with the brakes with the truck running and with itb idleing there is a constant hissing noise from the master cylinder area but when the brakes are being pushed the noise goes away. The noise only goes awayvwhen the pedal is going dow but if I'm holding them all the way down and the pedal is not moving the hissing noise comes back. Vacuum leak maybe?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
sounds like a bad power brake booster to me. you may want to look around and hope one of the vacuum lines is leaking it don't sound like it to me

OP
OP

12vcummins59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
sounds like a bad power brake booster to me. you may want to look around and hope one of the vacuum lines is leaking it don't sound like it to me

With more looking around the noise is coming from down near the power brake vacuum pump, be nice if it was just a loose hose or something. It's dark and too cold to look now

OP
OP

12vcummins59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Got her fixed, just a disconnected hose that was the vacuum leak!