More Braking Power?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I've been reading up on how to add some braking power to our 2nd gen trucks because I am throwing on 33"s with 20" rims but I wasn't able to find much with a Google search.

Am I better off to just upgrade my stock rubber lines to stainless steel, upgrade rotors, pads and calipers or what do you guys suggest?

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
For 33's no real need to upgrade the calipers or lines unless you really want to. New pads and rotors (or just resurfaced) and properly bleeding the system will be your biggest bang for the buck.

OP
OP
M

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
For 33's no real need to upgrade the calipers or lines unless you really want to. New pads and rotors (or just resurfaced) and properly bleeding the system will be your biggest bang for the buck.

My calipers and lines are still the oem from 2001, are they still as good as if I bought replacemnts?

Will better quality rotors or pads improve my braking any? If so what do you guys recommend

OP
OP
M

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I was thinking of trying to improve my braking because im going to 20" rims which will add some rotating weight/mass

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
2000+ calipers are about the best you very for the 1500s. Good pads. Ss brake lines can give a more solid feel from the initial push but nothing much more. Good shoes in rear. There's also rear disc kits you can do but $$$

OP
OP
M

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
2000+ calipers are about the best you very for the 1500s. Good pads. Ss brake lines can give a more solid feel from the initial push but nothing much more. Good shoes in rear. There's also rear disc kits you can do but $$$

Any pads in specific you recommend? Will drilled or slotted rotors help out at all?

OP
OP
M

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9

Any pads in specific you recommend? Will drilled or slotted rotors help out at all?

Jhighers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Penstar
Ebc green stuff pads always have done the trick for me. You need to watch the drilled rotors. With age and heat cycles they tend to crack between the drill holes. I say for a set of stock rotors and green stuff pads and you will be good to go for awhile.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum

interesting. i just took a look and it looks like those calipers are of the two-piston design. Bet they work pretty sweet on a half-ton considering the folk's one-ton Ford has OEM two-piston calipers.

Are they a direct swap on earlier year Rams?

OP
OP
M

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
interesting. i just took a look and it looks like those calipers are of the two-piston design. Bet they work pretty sweet on a half-ton considering the folk's one-ton Ford has OEM two-piston calipers.

Are they a direct swap on earlier year Rams?

I believe 94-99 had the one piston caliper while the 00+ have dual caliper. That's why the older second gens benefit from doing the 2500 LD caliper swap

Last edited:

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
As far as i've seen there are no real better calipers for the 00+, unless you convert to racing parts, but one of those cost about as much as 4 oem calipers. As for drilled rotors, There is a reason heavy duty trucks don't use them. When you are towing, even with a brake controller and trailer with brakes, the rotors tend to overheat very quickly due to having 2/3rds the thermal mass and then crack due to the thermal stress. Just get a nice pair of solid rotors.

As for pads, I just get what autozone sells.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Not sure if it is applicable, to a 1500 or not, on my 99 2500, I replaced teh rear wheel cyclinders with oen ton chevy wheel cyclinders, did noticean improvement to stopping power. other than that, Would not suggest drilled or slotted rotors unless you are planning on heating them up, and coolling them down, quickly and often. WOuld never recommend them for towing usage.

as mentioned, they will crack. advantage is they do get rid of heat quickly.

EBC will probably be my next set of pads. Possibly powerstop and powerstop reg rotors.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Not sure if it is applicable, to a 1500 or not, on my 99 2500, I replaced teh rear wheel cyclinders with oen ton chevy wheel cyclinders, did noticean improvement to stopping power. other than that, Would not suggest drilled or slotted rotors unless you are planning on heating them up, and coolling them down, quickly and often. WOuld never recommend them for towing usage.

as mentioned, they will crack. advantage is they do get rid of heat quickly.

EBC will probably be my next set of pads. Possibly powerstop and powerstop reg rotors.

00+ use a 1in bore instead of the 15/16in bore of the 99. I think chevys one ton uses 1 1/16th in bore on the single wheel versions, I know the dualies ran 1 3/16th bore on their wheel cylinders.

As far as keeping it ram, 00+have the largest cylinder bore of the 1500s in this generation. I don't know if the chevy parts will bolt on, the one ton cylinders around that time period should be less than $20. I helped a friend replace most of the internals of his 2000 C3500 drum brakes about 3 years ago and each cylinder was about $10.

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
Yep 00+ use 2 piston calipers so no 2500LD swap. They also use bosch rear brakes so the wheel cylinders are a different casting, swapping to 1 ton cylinders is not possible.

OP
OP
M

Magnum5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
01 ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Sounds like a pad swat and possibly a rotor swap or resurface will be all I can do and new pads on the drums