My truck is a mutt -___-

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LaurenMagnum360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 V8
so my truck is a mutt -__-

I go to get a oxygen sensor for it..... in and out in five minutes.

get home.... the plug is different.... i'm like ok, lets try a california model one......

eenoope didn't work either......

the plug on the new sensor was square, but the truck plug is round....

ended up getting a plug for a 1998 dodge ram and it fit? but my truck is a 2001........

2001 is supposed to have 3 O2's in total..... my truck has 2........

wtf is up with my truck, the ecu vin matches my truck, but things are pointing towards the motor/wiring harness being from a 95-98

is there a vin on the engine block somewhere i can use to match it to my body/frame?

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
This is a very common thing, Cali truck has four 02's, fed trucks have two, obd1 trucks have one. As you found out they have round connectors. Did you find the other third connector in the wiring harness?

OP
OP
LaurenMagnum360

LaurenMagnum360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 V8
This is a very common thing, Cali truck has four 02's, fed trucks have two, obd1 trucks have one. As you found out they have round connectors. Did you find the other third connector in the wiring harness?

no. i only have 1 o2 sensor connector for pre cat.

problem is i'm running obd2. and i'm not throwing any codes for 02 sensor.

the connector for the precat o2 sensor is on top of the transmission, not up by the manifolds. and the post cat sensor appears to be the same.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
01 was a weird year for O2 sensors as you've found out.

Just ask my buddy Johnn123. :rolleyes:

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
What you are describing is normal, one pre and one post 02. Idk about DD94 but I have yet to see a 2nd gen with three 02's. @ DD94 Red Neck had this problem as well.

Edit:

94-95 OBD1
96 Part OBD1 and part OBD2
97+ OBD2

OP
OP
LaurenMagnum360

LaurenMagnum360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 V8
What you are describing is normal, one pre and one post 02. Idk about DD94 but I have yet to see a 2nd gen with three 02's. @ DD94 Red Neck had this problem as well.

Edit:

94-95 OBD1
97+ OBD2

im still wondering why i had to use a 98 o2 sensor.

plus the emmisions tag under the hood says meets us federal emmision laws

but my ecu says its CA emmisions under data logging

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum

Edit:

94-95 OBD1
97+ OBD2
Never seen 3 O2s either. Only singles, duals and quads. And yes, RedneckRam did have issues with that now that you remind me. Round vs square vs short vs long BS.
im still wondering why i had to use a 98 o2 sensor.

plus the emmisions tag under the hood says meets us federal emmision laws

but my ecu says its CA emmisions under data logging

Eh? If it was a Cali PCM and there wasn't all four O2s hooked in it would be giving you a CEL all the time.

Just re-read some stuff: my pre-cat O2 wire IS on top of my trans. as well, but my post-cast is more on top of my t-case.

OP
OP
LaurenMagnum360

LaurenMagnum360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 V8
Never seen 3 O2s either. Only singles, duals and quads. And yes, RedneckRam did have issues with that now that you remind me. Round vs square vs short vs long BS.

Eh? If it was a Cali PCM and there wasn't all four O2s hooked in it would be giving you a CEL all the time.

Just re-read some stuff: my pre-cat O2 wire IS on top of my trans. as well, but my post-cast is more on top of my t-case.

that's where my connectors are as well

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
technically its a single in single out. both pipes meet up BEFORE the cat,

Yeah, that's what I was referring to: the cat itself. So yeah, your exhaust is correct in that it's a 2000-1 y-pipe. You could very just likely have one of the weird trucks that uses the square plug rather than the round one.

As for your PCM, I have no clue, I'd be wondering if the scanner is wrong, because if your truck was a Cali-spec truck it'd be ********.

OP
OP
LaurenMagnum360

LaurenMagnum360

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 V8
Yeah, that's what I was referring to: the cat itself. So yeah, your exhaust is correct in that it's a 2000-1 y-pipe. You could very just likely have one of the weird trucks that uses the square plug rather than the round one.

As for your PCM, I have no clue, I'd be wondering if the scanner is wrong, because if your truck was a Cali-spec truck it'd be ********.

i have round plugs

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Where'd you get the new 02? I also have an 2001 with round plugs, couple months ago I replaced the post-cat 02. Got a "universal" kit from Oreillys, gotta put the sensor together (that kinda had me worried) but it was pre easy and its held up great so far. Oreillys may be a lil bit pricey compared to others like PepBoys or Napa but their vehicle selector/part finder system has been consistently reliable for me

Edit: Part Number- Part # 15730

Last edited:

ParrotHead FA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
I have a '98 and my plugs are square also. I think it depends on when in the model year they made certain vehicles, sometimes ones made really early for the upcoming model year used parts from the previous year if there were no major chages (i.e. engine, trans, or body/trim styles) and ones made really late in the model year used some parts from the upcoming year. I think it all boils down to cost effectiveness and using what parts are most readily available at time of production in order to keep the assembly lines moving.
Dave