Need to boost mpgs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JMikk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
Hey fellow dodge drivers, I have a 5.9 and a 5.2 so I'm looking to boost both, I favor the 5.2 a little since it's got more new parts on it and the 5.9 needs a trans service but anyways I need better fuel economy and wondering what I can do to boost it in both, any suggestions??

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Catch can might actually harm mileage. Truck will run a bit leaner with a small amount of top end oil coming from the pcv system. Same reason mileage often goes up not long before plenum is completely shot.

Smaller tires, gentle foot, more highway less town and no higher tuba about 63-65mph, right exhaust combo for a little low rpm tq seems to help as well.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Honestly, if you want fuel economy, you're driving the wrong vehicles.

I've done my own testing. My truck gets the same MPG doing 55 as when I'm doing 75.

I've had the engine reworked, the exhaust reworked twice. Regular gas, premium gas, various heat ranges of spark plugs. I've coasted, accelerated only when I really needed to, even tagged "let off" points on my daily route to maximize on both.

I get 12 MPG. Period. No if and's or but's about it. So what do I do? I drive 75-80 happy with the fact that that's what I'm averaging.

The only time that I probably drop below that is in the Winter when I have to drive unusually slow and kick in the 4x4 as needed.

I'm far from a rich guy. I only make $12.75 an hour. But I'm a simple guy who likes his truck, so the crappy fuel economy doesn't bother me. Honestly, I don't even notice the gas pump in my week to week budget.

I'm 95% close to buying an SCT tuner from HemiFever. They advertise "more power, less fuel." Maybe I'll improve to 13 MPG but I'm not looking for fuel economy. I just wanna dump the death flash and let her run like a V8 should. Hell, if I dropped to 10 MPG but the engine ran much stronger, I'd be happy.

Different strokes for different folks. I'd rather a vehicle that ran like a banshee and sucked down gas like I suck down whisky over one that got better fuel economy but ran wimpy. Yes, I know new stuff gets BOTH, but I don't like new stuff. Way too much electronic control and gadgets and gizmos for my liking. And I'm speaking as a 26-year-old, LOL.

misuracaf10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sell both for a 8speed 4th gen [emoji41]

But a tuner would most likely help more than any bolt on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Drive like an old man.

Otherwise, don't *****. These are old, heavy trucks with outdated tech. If you can't afford to feed em you shouldn't be driving em.

This is why I go back and forth between the truck and the Hyundai. lol

OP
OP
J

JMikk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318

I've done my own testing. My truck gets the same MPG doing 55 as when I'm doing 75.

I've had the engine reworked, the exhaust reworked twice. Regular gas, premium gas, various heat ranges of spark plugs. I've coasted, accelerated only when I really needed to, even tagged "let off" points on my daily route to maximize on both.

I get 12 MPG. Period. No if and's or but's about it. So what do I do? I drive 75-80 happy with the fact that that's what I'm averaging.

The only time that I probably drop below that is in the Winter when I have to drive unusually slow and kick in the 4x4 as needed.

I'm far from a rich guy. I only make $12.75 an hour. But I'm a simple guy who likes his truck, so the crappy fuel economy doesn't bother me. Honestly, I don't even notice the gas pump in my week to week budget.

I'm 95% close to buying an SCT tuner from HemiFever. They advertise "more power, less fuel." Maybe I'll improve to 13 MPG but I'm not looking for fuel economy. I just wanna dump the death flash and let her run like a V8 should. Hell, if I dropped to 10 MPG but the engine ran much stronger, I'd be happy.

Different strokes for different folks. I'd rather a vehicle that ran like a banshee and sucked down gas like I suck down whisky over one that got better fuel economy but ran wimpy. Yes, I know new stuff gets BOTH, but I don't like new stuff. Way too much electronic control and gadgets and gizmos for my liking. And I'm speaking as a 26-year-old, LOL.

I get 8 how do I get 12 back lol... I run rich and have no idea what to do about it. Good plugs good wires and new cap and rotor, full exhaust new sensors and last I checked clean air cleaner. Runs smooth and idles low idk what goes on.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I get 8 how do I get 12 back lol... I run rich and have no idea what to do about it. Good plugs good wires and new cap and rotor, full exhaust new sensors and last I checked clean air cleaner. Runs smooth and idles low idk what goes on.

What do you have for exhaust?

auskip07

Reaction score
Ram Year
s
Engine
s
your best bet is to remove some weight. Think like a race car body panels changed to fiber glass. you are moving alot of weight with the truck. Alloy rims along with smaller tires. (mentioned above) no spare tire. get rid of anything not necessary.

the V8 is a gas hog making the truck lighter is your only chance.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8

I'm 95% close to buying an SCT tuner from FlyinRyan . They advertise "more power, less fuel." Maybe I'll improve to 13 MPG but I'm not looking for fuel economy. I just wanna dump the death flash and let her run like a V8 should. Hell, if I dropped to 10 MPG but the engine ran much stronger, I'd be happy.

Fixed

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Buy a RAM with an EcoDiesel.
City/Highway combined I'm 24MPG+
... you don't have to wear skinny jeans or drive 55 like and old man either

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
your best bet is to remove some weight. Think like a race car body panels changed to fiber glass. you are moving alot of weight with the truck. Alloy rims along with smaller tires. (mentioned above) no spare tire. get rid of anything not necessary.

the V8 is a gas hog making the truck lighter is your only chance.

LOL!

Weight reduction's for Honda guys that think that removing the back seat and bolting on a carbon fiber hood will shave 2 seconds off their 0-60.

Hell, don't even bother replacing panels with lighter ones, just don't install any period! Doors? Install a cargo net! Bed? Who needs a bed on a truck? Hood? All the old school rat rodders don't use no stinkin' hood!

Might as well gut the interior while you're at it. Tear out all the seats and bolt a literal bucket in front of the steering wheel. Passengers? If they don't like the floor, tough nails. And such frivolous things like the windshield can go, 'cause real men drive with bugs in their teeth! Or you can just wear a helmet. It'll complete the look of your racin' truck!

And in the end, you'll get maybe an extra quarter mile per gallon...

OP
OP
J

JMikk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
Interesting.

Tire size? Lift?

Factory and factory, she's all stock. I run some 18 inch rims when I feel like it but they're street tread and 11" wide and not on now