Need to boost mpgs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Everyone else has said it already, but these trucks are not known for fuel economy. Go buy a toyota or honda pickup if you want gas mileage (cant haul a tent with those ******** though).

I get 15 highway, but i dont have a lift, stock tires and 2wd. Thats where those extra 3mpg come from. But I also weigh 6800lbs with just me and some of my tools in it. Add in an extra 200lbs of tools and 250lbs of trash wood and metal in the bed since I last weighed and i'm at 7250lbs of American steel pulling 15mpg.

I've also found that going 60 or 80 only changes my mileage by about 1mpg at most (using a fuel flow meter)

Even better, I load Big Dirty up with my travel trailer, I only drop to 9mpg, and that thing weighs 4Klb empty, with all my crap its probably around 6Klbs (I like to keep tools in it).

Obviously you are a man, otherwise you wouldn't have even bought a second Gen. But being manly doesn't come cheap. A tuner would be your best bet, maybe get you a mile per gallon or two.

My buddy has a 98 f-250 with the 5.4l, 4wd stock tires and ride height (its actually a hybrid, f-150 with f-250 suspension) He gets 10 highway, 7 city, and thats dry at roughly 5400lbs. Towing a 4Klb trailer drops him down to 4mpg.

auskip07

Reaction score
Ram Year
s
Engine
s
LOL!
Honda Bla bla

Its actually 100lbs / 1% increase in mpg. Its just science. Its a heavy truck i dont think the guy was asking for miracles just improvements. This is a legitimate way. If you are always carrying around 200-300 lbs of weight extra that can make a difference over a long enough time.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Well, if you go by that calculation then let's say that you shave 1,000 lbs of weight. That should equate to a 10% increase in fuel economy.

Just because there are so many factors and variances, let's just be generous and say you have a combined fuel economy of 20 MPG and that is very, VERY generous even for the 2WD guys.

A +10% increase to fuel economy would bump this to 22 MPG.

Let's say you drive 300 miles a week.

At the moment, 87 regular down here runs $2.54 a gallon.

Sooo, if you crunch the numbers...

300 (miles) / 20 MPG = 15 gallons of gas burned per week.

300 (miles) / 22 MPG = 13.63 gallons of gas burned per week.

Pricing it out...

15 gallons of gas * 2.54 a gallon = $38.10 per week.

13.63 gallons of gas * 2.54 a gallon = $34.62 per week.

So with +10% fuel economy and using these numbers, you'll save $3.48 per week. Woo. If I would switch from Dasani to Great Value bottled water, I will save the same amount.

Speaking for myself, gas prices would have to TRIPLE before I would even notice the impact of +10% fuel economy.

And tell me, how are you gonna reduce the weight of a second gen Ram by 1,000 pounds without following what I mentioned in my previous post (LOL!). I'm not certain that you even would chop off that much weight if you did, LOL.

Leave weight reduction to the ricers that don't mind tearing their cars apart for those mystical oober gains to power to weight ratio.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Everyone else has said it already, but these trucks are not known for fuel economy. Go buy a toyota or honda pickup if you want gas mileage (cant haul a tent with those ******** though).

I get 15 highway, but i dont have a lift, stock tires and 2wd. Thats where those extra 3mpg come from. But I also weigh 6800lbs with just me and some of my tools in it. Add in an extra 200lbs of tools and 250lbs of trash wood and metal in the bed since I last weighed and i'm at 7250lbs of American steel pulling 15mpg.

I've also found that going 60 or 80 only changes my mileage by about 1mpg at most (using a fuel flow meter)

Even better, I load Big Dirty up with my travel trailer, I only drop to 9mpg, and that thing weighs 4Klb empty, with all my crap its probably around 6Klbs (I like to keep tools in it).

Obviously you are a man, otherwise you wouldn't have even bought a second Gen. But being manly doesn't come cheap. A tuner would be your best bet, maybe get you a mile per gallon or two.

My buddy has a 98 f-250 with the 5.4l, 4wd stock tires and ride height (its actually a hybrid, f-150 with f-250 suspension) He gets 10 highway, 7 city, and thats dry at roughly 5400lbs. Towing a 4Klb trailer drops him down to 4mpg.

Well, if you go by that calculation then let's say that you shave 1,000 lbs of weight. That should equate to a 10% increase in fuel economy.

Just because there are so many factors and variances, let's just be generous and say you have a combined fuel economy of 20 MPG and that is very, VERY generous even for the 2WD guys.

A +10% increase to fuel economy would bump this to 22 MPG.

Let's say you drive 300 miles a week.

At the moment, 87 regular down here runs $2.54 a gallon.

Sooo, if you crunch the numbers...

300 (miles) / 20 MPG = 15 gallons of gas burned per week.

300 (miles) / 22 MPG = 13.63 gallons of gas burned per week.

Pricing it out...

15 gallons of gas * 2.54 a gallon = $38.10 per week.

13.63 gallons of gas * 2.54 a gallon = $34.62 per week.

So with +10% fuel economy and using these numbers, you'll save $3.48 per week. Woo. If I would switch from Dasani to Great Value bottled water, I will save the same amount.

Speaking for myself, gas prices would have to TRIPLE before I would even notice the impact of +10% fuel economy.

And tell me, how are you gonna reduce the weight of a second gen Ram by 1,000 pounds without following what I mentioned in my previous post (LOL!). I'm not certain that you even would chop off that much weight if you did, LOL.

Leave weight reduction to the ricers that don't mind tearing their cars apart for those mystical oober gains to power to weight ratio.

**** has gotten real in here.

:word: