need some help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mcooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 hemi
ok so i have a 97 ram 1500 4x4 and i have a few issues i need to fix and can't figure them out to save my life!

first problem:
-the brakes make a horrible squealing sound (think its coming from the drums) but i just replaced everything in the braking system except the lines up front and the booster/reservoir... I've inspected them and can't find anything rubbing or anything out of place and there are no signs of rubbing either. this sound only happens after driving for a bit like something is warming up as i use the brakes and gets worse and worse.

second problem:
-the whole truck shakes (can't tell if its front to back or side to side) when you hit the brakes. it don't do it right away so its like after something warms up it starts doing it, again all new brakes and i have balanced the weeks/tires. i tried tightening up the steering box up front and that didn't help

third problem:
-coolant temp. gauge doesn't work and is throwing a check engine code: P0117 Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit Low Input. I've changed the sensor itself and even tested it with a heat gun and a volt tester(forget what its called) and it is working so something else along the line is wrong.

any help is much appreciated! i can get pics tomorrow if it will help, its currently too dark! thanks!

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
For your brakes: I would take the drums and rotors off and have them turned or checked to make sure they're round. It is not unheard of to be out of round or be partially warped out of the box.

For your coolant issue: Have you made sure the engine is actually getting up to temperature? Not uncommon to have a thermostat stick open and to have that code get thrown up.

Welcome to RF.

HolyRamBatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When you replaced your drums did you replace the adjuster mechanism?

Have you adjusted the rear brakes properly?

I replaced my rear pads a year or so ago. Brakes work great but there is a horrible grinding sound that comes from the back occasionally when I brake softly. I do some backing up to adjust them and they work fine for awhile then back to noise. I have to replace the adjusters and see if that helps.

OP
OP
M

mcooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 hemi
I have turned them already at my work and they turned out great. I have an after market temp gauge and it reads that my truck runs about 200-210 which is where it should be.

When I did the brakes I replaced everything so yea the adjusters are new.

Thanks!