New to dodge! Couple questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys and gals! Name's Zach and I just recently bought a 1998 dodge ram single cab short bed in the sort of electric blue color. I came over from the f150 world so please try to not hold that against me. It only has 105k on the clock so hopefully she still has some life left in her.

When my mechanic looked at it yesterday he said I would need a few things being that it is a 13 year old truck. He said first I should take care of some front suspension work such as the tie rods on both sides so I plan on doing that and getting it aligned as soon as I'm done with that. Was wondering if anyone had any advice or tips to share when replacing all those parts and if they knew of any websites to get ahold of these parts for cheap because my only options in town are autozone

He then said the cat has been gutted he believes and some sort of newer quiet flow muffler has been installed which was fine because I plan on gutting it and running strait pipes possibly anyway unless someone has any suggestions for what to run with a gutted cat?

Next we have a tiny power steering leak but he said it was nothing to lose sleep over and to watch the fluid levels but are there any common places they leak from I should check out?

Then he said at first start up when it has been sitting the rear brakes are real touchy like as soon as I tap on the brakes it feels as if they lock up and the whole truck stops but once it is warm there are no issues with that. Didnt know if anyone could touch on that?

And finally he said there is a grinding noise coming from the rear end like it needs to be replaced? I feel it's just a noise with the exhaust but I haven't had time to really inspect it myself with my work and class schedule the last couple days.

Sorry for the long introduction guys but I think it was easier to just put it in one thread! If anyone can help out in anyway feel free! Thanks for having me!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1323201684.509745.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome to Ram Forum!

Please for the sake of readability start a new paragraph every once in a while!

If you have a 4x4, be sure to replace the trac bar *unless it's recently been replaced* that causes the vast majority of steering issues on these trucks. I personally ran the setup from DT Protofab (Google them). The adjustable Trac Bar as well as the Steering Box Brace. I had a mild lift kit, so I wanted an adjustable trac bar. The install was fairly straight forward, and the results where amazing.

For the exhaust, I ran a gutted cat on my '00 Ram without any issue. It does lead to far more 'drone' from the exhaust than any other modification I've ever made. I had my post cat O2 sensor zip ******* to the cross member and only on a very rare occasion would I throw a code, which I cleared and didn't experience further issues.

"Not worrying" about any leak is poor advise. Nothing should leak. A small leak will almost always lead to a larger leak, which can then become catastrophic failure. Not saying to immediately fix it, but find the problem, and implement the solution. "Checking the fluid" is not a solution, it's a band-aid.

As for the brakes, I'd take the drums apart, and replace every darned component in them. Then Gen II Ram's have had issues with the self adjusters not functioning properly. Make sure you use good silicone on the rub surfaces, as well as on the self adjusters to assure they smoothly function. Also make sure you don't have a leaking axle seal. They are 'relatively' easy to replace if they are leaking. (Don't replace the rear brakes before addressing a leaking wheel seal)

Good Luck, and again Welcome to RF!

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
try some power steering stop leak. (one of the only times I suggest stop leak products)

my brakes are the same way in the morning at the first stop sign. I chalk it up to moisture, but idk. maybe a small wheel cyl leak, but it doesnt show

Badger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome to RF! Good to see another 2nd gen! I have noticed your brake issue on my truck as well from time to time, also on my Durango. But only when it gets below freezing the night before. I have addressed it as the fluid being cold as the problem went away once I was warmed up.

Autozone is one place to get your parts, but check out our vendor pages towards the bottom of the hone page all are great companies. While you're there check out Hell Bent Steel for a steering stabilizer, you'll be glad you did.

OP
OP
Hollabakzach23

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome to Ram Forum!

Please for the sake of readability start a new paragraph every once in a while!

If you have a 4x4, be sure to replace the trac bar *unless it's recently been replaced* that causes the vast majority of steering issues on these trucks. I personally ran the setup from DT Protofab (Google them). The adjustable Trac Bar as well as the Steering Box Brace. I had a mild lift kit, so I wanted an adjustable trac bar. The install was fairly straight forward, and the results where amazing.

For the exhaust, I ran a gutted cat on my '00 Ram without any issue. It does lead to far more 'drone' from the exhaust than any other modification I've ever made. I had my post cat O2 sensor zip ******* to the cross member and only on a very rare occasion would I throw a code, which I cleared and didn't experience further issues.

"Not worrying" about any leak is poor advise. Nothing should leak. A small leak will almost always lead to a larger leak, which can then become catastrophic failure. Not saying to immediately fix it, but find the problem, and implement the solution. "Checking the fluid" is not a solution, it's a band-aid.

As for the brakes, I'd take the drums apart, and replace every darned component in them. Then Gen II Ram's have had issues with the self adjusters not functioning properly. Make sure you use good silicone on the rub surfaces, as well as on the self adjusters to assure they smoothly function. Also make sure you don't have a leaking axle seal. They are 'relatively' easy to replace if they are leaking. (Don't replace the rear brakes before addressing a leaking wheel seal)

Good Luck, and again Welcome to RF!

I realized as soon as I hit send I should have organized that a little better I apologize for that. In a bit of hurry before class.

It is 4x4 and have most of the service records and only the ball joints are up to date. So I am going to look into the trac bar along with the rest of my steering components. What exactly would make the wheel move so freely without turning the truck? I noticed my sisters stratus does the same thing it's just not as loose as my truck.

I've not thrown any codes with my exhaust so I will keep the cat as it I an decide what I'm going to run down the road.

I sort of thought the same thing with the fluid but then I figured maybe he only told me that since I hav bigger issues to address first. Once I have a few minutes of down time I will try to track down the leak and go from there.

Thanks for the heads up on the brakes too I'll be sure to try and look further into them as well!

Thanks for your help right off the bat!

OP
OP
Hollabakzach23

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
try some power steering stop leak. (one of the only times I suggest stop leak products)

my brakes are the same way in the morning at the first stop sign. I chalk it up to moisture, but idk. maybe a small wheel cyl leak, but it doesnt show

Does that stuff work and won't mess anything up like other stop leak products? Will I have to drain my power steering fluid and refill it with the stop leak stuff? If so how do I go about draining it?

Thanks for that on the brakes I don't get it but maybe I'll look into it after I get some more important stuff taken care of!

OP
OP
Hollabakzach23

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome to RF! Good to see another 2nd gen! I have noticed your brake issue on my truck as well from time to time, also on my Durango. But only when it gets below freezing the night before. I have addressed it as the fluid being cold as the problem went away once I was warmed up.

Autozone is one place to get your parts, but check out our vendor pages towards the bottom of the hone page all are great companies. While you're there check out Hell Bent Steel for a steering stabilizer, you'll be glad you did.

Thanks man I love the style of the 2nd gens especially mine. Nice and small lol.

It's getting pretty cold here and I just bought it from a dealer who had it sitting awhile before so maybe it will go away, maybe I'll be replacing them. We will see. Glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem.

I will check out the vendors for sure I figured if I could get some nice suspension parts for a little more but better quality I would just order them and have something to do over Christmas break! A buddy of mine ran a rough country one on his f250 so of course he swears by that but I was looking at a hbs leveling kit for this so I may just have to go that route.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Welcome to the site.

Rockauto a vendor here should carry most of the stock parts you are looking at replacing too

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
I have a lot of steering wheel play also. there is a thread in the 2nd gen part about tightening a screw that is said to help. I haven't tried it yet.

once you replace the tierods and stuff, if it is still bad, you realistically should replace the steering gear box (probably the thing leaking) it is about $160 at the local part stores. easy to replace. like 4 bolts total

sadly, I have gotten used to the steering.

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Welcome to RF from a fellow 2nd genner. As far as the sloppy steering goes, check to make sure there aren't any worn steering components and you could try the steering box adjustment as well. I did on mine and helped out a lot. Here's the link for it http://www.ramforum.com/f77/sloppy-steering-adjustment-1078/

Also, check out our vendors RockAuto for any parts that need replacing and HBS if you wanna level the front too. If you do and want to run tires larger than 33's, I definitely recommend running one of their steering box brace.

As for the power steering leak I'd try some stop leak as well. If the reservoir is full, I'd just suction some out and add the stop leak then. You don't have to drain the system to add it.

If you've got any more questions, post them up and we'll do our best to answer them for ya

bigbadram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to the forum. :) I'm not sure about 2nd gen rams, but on 3rd gens, the return line on the power steering was known to leak. Might be an area to check just in case.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Welcome to RF ... Nice 2nd gen

iSlacker816

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 (360ci) Magnum
Welcome to the site man coming from a fellow 2nd gen-er!

Yes the 2nd gen's are notorious for sloppy steering and every 2nd gen owner here can agree to that. As Mark stated above if you plan on putting larger tires on your rig get a gearbox brace. I sadly ran larger tires and I'm pretty sure thats what made me blow a seal on my gearbox from over-working it. Now it gets to get replaced.

I got some some ball joints from our vendor Rockauto and they saved me 200 bucks on just them and another couple hundred on tie rods inners and outters when I go to buy them (compared to Napa, Autozone, Advance Auto, and Oreilly's) Rockauto beats all their prices.

Again welcome to the forum and let us know if there's any way to help!

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
As for the steering leak I would just fix the leak instead of stop leak... RockAuto.com has the seals for really cheap... Input shaft seal for like $5 bucks and $6 buck for the pitman seal. why screw around just fix the problem...

As for the brakes my little 96 does the same thing but after the first stop its gone... But I would take the time and pull the drums and check the shoe just to be safe...

I'm also running a gutted kitty... I drilled two 1/2 holes in in the front and 1 in the back using a screw driver broke it up and blew it out. Then wleded up my 2 holes and I was done. Both O2 sensor are still installed no issues now for about 4-5 years!

As for miles it sound like she got plenty of life left. Typically with good maintenance you can get about 300K from a gasoline mopar engine.

Welcome to RF family... :)

OP
OP
Hollabakzach23

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a lot of steering wheel play also. there is a thread in the 2nd gen part about tightening a screw that is said to help. I haven't tried it yet.

once you replace the tierods and stuff, if it is still bad, you realistically should replace the steering gear box (probably the thing leaking) it is about $160 at the local part stores. easy to replace. like 4 bolts total

sadly, I have gotten used to the steering.

haha i have gotten pretty used to it since I've been driving it for a few days now I'm just not used to it at the same time since none of my vehicles have ever had that much play. I hope it is not that since the tie rod replacement I had priced was like 220 bucks...

OP
OP
Hollabakzach23

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome to RF from a fellow 2nd genner. As far as the sloppy steering goes, check to make sure there aren't any worn steering components and you could try the steering box adjustment as well. I did on mine and helped out a lot. Here's the link for it http://www.ramforum.com/f77/sloppy-steering-adjustment-1078/

Also, check out our vendors RockAuto for any parts that need replacing and HBS if you wanna level the front too. If you do and want to run tires larger than 33's, I definitely recommend running one of their steering box brace.

As for the power steering leak I'd try some stop leak as well. If the reservoir is full, I'd just suction some out and add the stop leak then. You don't have to drain the system to add it.

If you've got any more questions, post them up and we'll do our best to answer them for ya

Thanks for the leak I will have to look into that maybe it will help! Thanks for the info on the power steering issue too I will do that this weekend and hopefully start to take care of one of my issues!

I will probably go with HBS for the level just gotta take care of the maintenance first before I make her pretty!

OP
OP
Hollabakzach23

Hollabakzach23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As for the steering leak I would just fix the leak instead of stop leak... RockAuto.com has the seals for really cheap... Input shaft seal for like $5 bucks and $6 buck for the pitman seal. why screw around just fix the problem...

As for the brakes my little 96 does the same thing but after the first stop its gone... But I would take the time and pull the drums and check the shoe just to be safe...

I'm also running a gutted kitty... I drilled two 1/2 holes in in the front and 1 in the back using a screw driver broke it up and blew it out. Then wleded up my 2 holes and I was done. Both O2 sensor are still installed no issues now for about 4-5 years!

As for miles it sound like she got plenty of life left. Typically with good maintenance you can get about 300K from a gasoline mopar engine.

Welcome to RF family... :)

Thats not a bad idea if the seals are that cheap... How hard is it to go about changing those?

I will pull the drums eventually but I have noticed everyone who has posted in this thread thus far has had that issue so it is still important to me, just on the back burner. (even though if I try to cook more than one thing at a time I end up burning it :/ lol)

Both o2 sensors are still on mine as well and the cat was taken apart and welded back together with a ghetto muffler slid over the stock pipe and clamped on. I'm just gonna go strait pipe for awhile since I do not have to worry about emissions!

300k would be nice I would love to drive her that long this is by far my favorite truck of the three I own I would like to be able to maintain it for as long as possible!