New to Dodge & Forum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WhiteThang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
About to bite the bullet on a 2001 Ram 5.9l

It has a salvaged title but I know the guy who fixed it up pretty well. It has hit in the front and everything was fixed. He bought it wrecked from a dealer auction and now uses it to plow. 96xxx miles and runs great he says. Bedlined on lower half of body and looks great. I know about the plenum issues on the 2nd gens, anything else I should keep an eye out for before I hand over the cash?

It's not rusted out and has under 100k miles but has a salvaged title. He's asking $5k for it with the plow. Im thinking it's a good deal because the plow could be worth atleast $1k so the truck could be had for $4k.

Also, I will be using as my DD to run back and forth on the highway. What's MPG like on these puppies when you dont romp on it. It has an Edge tuner on it also...

Feedback?

20140323_142118_zps2680dbf3.jpg

20140323_1421431_zpsf2a6a4eb.jpg

20140323_142410_zpsae0f40db.jpg

20140323_142431_zpsaac5ca25.jpg

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome to the forum and (potentially) Ram ownership!
Make sure the transmission shifts properly. Check the transmission fluid dip stick and look very closely at the fluid. Look for shiny bits in the fluid (signs of internal break-down). It is very common for these transmissions to fail when not properly cared for and maintained, especially when used to plow.
Drive it to make sure that the front suspension/steering feels tight (no rattles/sloppy movement). Look at the truck from the front at ground level and make sure the tires are vertical. If the top of the tire looks like it is leaning in (even a little bit) it is a sign that the wheel bearings and/or ball joints are going bad.
In my humble opinion 5k (even with a plow) is close to market value for a truck with a clean title. Salvage title vehicles are worth considerably less than a clean title vehicle. Just food for thought.