New to Dodge....Maybe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

380tom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Quad Cab Sport
Engine
Hello all!
I am new to the forum and new "maybe" to Dodge's
I am possibly going to purchase a 2000 Ram 1500 5.2L, 2wd lifted 6" with 315/70/16 tires at a really good price . Question is....the truck runs great with 110,000 miles and has a new transmission but it's really doggy with the stock gears.
I have a 19ft travel trailer that weighs in at around 4800lbs loaded and I need to be able to tow it about once a month or so. This truck will be used for weekend get aways riding, fishing, camping, etc.
We mostly go out to the high desert which means some pretty good, long hill climbs. Will this truck work for me if I regear it for the taller tires and trailer? or will anything I do be a waste of time? If the gearing will work what gears would you all suggest?
Thanks in advance and great site!

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Welcome to the site!" As far as your question goes. You could rehearsal to a 4.56 gear to accommodate the tires and trailer. My only concern is it being a 2wd. If you are in sand Im not sure how well you would do. Others will chime in later. But from what I see here you shouldn't have too much of a problem if you regear.

Sent from my liberty x!

suzukiquadrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 , 2004
Engine
cummins 5.9, 6.6 duramax
if your going to be going into loose sand it is better to have 4wd. also a camper with a 6 inch lift you might need to get a serious drop hitch. also regearing is a very good idea to 410s or bigger

OP
OP

380tom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Quad Cab Sport
Engine
I will defenitely stick to the hard pack dirt roads and keep out of the deep loose stuff. I am more concerned on whether or not the 5.2l will handle the load. I am thinking 4.56 gears?? not sure if 4.10's will be enough however I do not want to over gear and get terrible hwy mileage while not towing. I figure I'm gonna get terrible gas mileage while towing anyway just trying to figure out a happy medium.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
4:10 gears are the happy medium .. I have no complaints

nim81

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I would also make sure the plenum isn't leaking! It will kill mileage and power. Just take a flashlight and look down into the throttle body. If you see oil, you will need to replace the plenum gasket.
I would also recommend the 4.56 , although I don't see anything saving you any mileage on a lifted 5.2L

Sent from iPhone-taptalk

zack

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5 packing the smarty
Engine
5.9 cummins ho
Welcome to rf an 410s should be fine for 5000#s my dad has a2000 1500 an he has stock gears an pulls a 5ton 10foot ezdump trailer no trouble

OP
OP

380tom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Quad Cab Sport
Engine
I will check the plenum. Thanks Bryan!

Zack, Is your dad's truck a 5.2l ? Also I am running 35" tires so that requires a regear in itself.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Welcome to the site.
I have the 5.9 with 410s and pulls my 6k trailer no problem.
4:10s should be good.

Luke(MI)

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Chevy Blazer
Engine
4.3l Vortec V6
I strongly recommend a 4x4 though, you say up hill in dirt/gravel?? pulling a 5k trailer? good luck. I have a hard time beleving my 2500 5.9l would do that in 2wd if it is a long enough pull. some of those roads around here can go from hard pack to worked up dust without warning especially with heavy travel. at least get yourself a set of quick on and off tire chains in the event that you do spin out and always keep a 20+ ton recovery strap handy. I used to hate taking my 4x2 Silverado down dirt roads last summer with a tractor or two on the trailer, all that power from the built motor made that thing break loose so easily Id need to back down a good mile and try again. Not fun when you have more than one hill and get stuck between two big ones

OP
OP

380tom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Quad Cab Sport
Engine
Thanks Luke but I'm talking about long steep grades on the highway. You're right if I was gonna do them in the dirt I would go with a 4wd for sure. I just need something to get me there and find a nice flat spot to park in the desert.
Most of the places we go have pretty well manicured roads to get you to the camping areas and most of my friends do it with 2wd pulling trailers bigger than mine. My main concern is being able to pull the trailer on the highway with the bigger tires and being geared right.

OP
OP

380tom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Quad Cab Sport
Engine
UPDATE!
I purchased a 2002 Ram 1500 5.9 quad cab. Completely stock 80k miles.
Any info or tips/tricks/things to look out for? I just drove it home and it drives great and has tons of power! :favorites13:

nim81

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Congrats!! Check the plenum just to be safe

Now we need pics!!

Sent from iPhone-taptalk

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
^^^^Exactly

The plenum gasket is notorious for blowing on any dodge ram from 1994 - 2002.

Congrats on the 5.9. Good torque and ok horsepower. Not the greatest mpg's so be warned. This is a truck not a prius.

List of common things.
ball joints
plenum gasket

What gears did you get?? Do you happen to know by chance??

We need details man! lol

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
congrats man....as said don't be shocked by your fuel mileage....not that any of us get great mileage...LOL

nim81

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
the 5.9L likes copper core spark plugs. don't use platinum plugs. also the distributor cap and rotor should have brass contacts. just an FYI for when you do a tune up.

and with 80K miles it wouldn't hurt to have the bands adjusted in your transmission. the 46re isnt the greatest tranny but itll last so long as you treat it right.

my bet is you have the 3.55 gears. if you plan to haul alot and lift/ bigger tires i would strongly recommend re-gearing.

Luke(MI)

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Chevy Blazer
Engine
4.3l Vortec V6
Details details details!!!! color? long box? 4x4? gears? auto/manual? pw/pl? what are your upgrade plans if any? pics!

OP
OP

380tom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Quad Cab Sport
Engine
Thanks everybody!
So here is what I know right now.......
5.9, Auto trans, 3.73 gears, tow package, 2wd, Sport model, Silver with dark grey interior, Short bed, Quad cab, pw, pd, p-seats.

I will check the plenum. Thanks!

Can any local trans shop adjust the bands on the trans? I will be towing a 19ft 3500-4000lb travel trailer so I would like to make sure the trans does'nt give out on me. I'm starting to worry after all the threads I have read about these transmissions. Anything else I can do to prevent failure?????

I think it has a sticky lifter? When I first start it cold it ticks mildly for about 5-10 seconds then goes away. Any advice?

Other than that I love it! It is the best driving truck I have ever owned, but I am coming off a 68 CJ-5, 69 Wagoneer and a 80 Suburban. So that goes without saying. It has tons of power and is super clean. The previous owner was very maticulous and this thing is in great over all shape.

Future plans as of now are to replace the head light plastic (faded bad) but other than that possibly a slight lift???? I am tossing around the idea.
Do you guys have any suggestions on a mild lift maybe a couple inches?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Luke(MI)

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Chevy Blazer
Engine
4.3l Vortec V6
You could have a blowing manifold gasket that expands enough when it gets hot to complete the seal.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Sounds good sir. I say just take it to a shop that you trust and have them check the trans out. Check fluids, bands, diff. all that fun stuff. I say level it and you should be good.