New Dodge owner and Overdrive issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

diverjer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I now have my second Dodge ever, the last one was a 1957 Dodge with a push button transmission, great car ran like a tank.

Now I have a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 with 5.9 automatic. Bought used with 167,000 miles. Looks good, no rust and sounds good, for the most part drives good. BTW it is a sport model which I doubt makes any difference.

Was doing a test drive tonight after changing oil and filter. I was trying to feel how many times it shifted, believe it is a 3 speed and 4th is OD? Anyway, OD light was not on and I feel certain I was doing 55mph and the tach was at 1500. I pushed in the OD button, the OD light came on and didn't notice a difference in shifting or tach RPM. I stopped and took off and it seemed to be just a little faster tach (maybe 2000) at 55 mph. I thought it should be more RPM difference. After a stop sign I pressed the OD button and the light went off (which I think means I am in OD). Now at 55 MPH I am doing 3000 RPM!!! No matter what I do with the OD button, on or off, I am now doing 3000 rpm at 55 MPH.

Any ideas, I know there are some sensors for heat, but the OD lights does work and it is not on. Actually what I understand is when the light is on, the OD (no fourth) is off and you only have 3 speeds. Also I hooked up code reader and didn't get any error codes.

I hate to say this, but that was the way my Nissan worked, you could tell the difference just by pushing the button going down the road, there was a big difference. However I am back to American and a Dodge and confused.

Last edited:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
You should be able to tell at higher speed but on old Rams I don't think it held the gear longer with OD off like tow haul mode does it simply kept it out of overdrive.

OP
OP
diverjer

diverjer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It was second gear. I did some playing with shifting lever and that is what it ran in second and didn't change when shifting to D. I could force it to shift if I kept going from D to 2 and back to D a couple times. Checked fluid and it was low, I had some Lucas ATF conditioner on a shelf, so put that in. Now doing much better. Doing about 1500 RPM at 55MPH, 2000RPM at about 72 MPH. Push in OD and it did shift down and push off shifted back up.

I did pull the AT dip stick and looked at fluid, smelled fluid, but did not check in N before purchasing. Did notice a wet AT pan prior to purchasing, but all the wet was below the gasket. I have cleaned that off, just barely snug the bolts (about half were loose) and watching for new leaks. Hopefully all is okay.

The engine oil was at an okay level, but I changed it and the filter. I may change out the ATF and filter, it is suppose to hold 21 pints, but only part of that will be in pan, do you know how to get the toque converter and all drained?

Kind of strange, had vehicle two days. At Caseys putting gas in today, this guy was watching me, finely came up and he use to be the owner of the truck. He actually bought it from a family member. I am the fourth owner, he sold it about 18 month ago to the guy I bought it from. We only have around 300,000 people in the county. Also, the original owners are only about 4 miles away.

pitbull

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Smiley is corect I have a 2000 1500 same engine the OD button does shut off the OD when u press it it simply keeps OD from engaging for towing purpouses it doesnt turn OD on. its ecessivly hard on the OD when towing if it kicks in so when you tow something or have a heavy load in the bed id hit that OD button to make sure it dont kick in while your giving your truck a workout.

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Congrats on the "new" Ram and welcome! The 2nd Gen trucks are aweseome. The Sport model was a limited run in '94 only (2,500 were made and I believe they were all 2wd models in 1500 only), after that it became an optioned appearance package. Regardless, it looks good.

Sorry I cannot help with the transmisison question - I had two 2nd gens both with 5 speeds but my understanding of my dad's '97 auto matches what smiley and pitbull described.