New Dodge Ram owner with ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jthibos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Just bought a 2001 Ram 1500 4x4 for daughter to drive to school.
4wd was working great when tested but now the u-joint is bad. No biggie but can't disengage the hubs? Is this normal?

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You yourself don't disengage them lol. Should just have to pull the shifter to 2wd and thats it.

OP
OP
J

jthibos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Automatic hubs

I realize they aren't manual hubs. But even in 2wd the front axles are turning all the time. Are the locking mechanisms in the hubs themselves or in the front differential? I was hoping to wait on changing the u-joints until a more convenient time. But if they are always engaged / turning I can't wait to repair or the yokes will be ruined. Thats my dilemma.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I realize they aren't manual hubs. But even in 2wd the front axles are turning all the time. Are the locking mechanisms in the hubs themselves or in the front differential? I was hoping to wait on changing the u-joints until a more convenient time. But if they are always engaged / turning I can't wait to repair or the yokes will be ruined. Thats my dilemma.

Limited slip differential in the front possibly. Front DS spins when in 2wd as well? Mine does this as well and it is an LSD. An open differential wouldn't have that issue. Could be something else but that would be my guess.

wingnut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
The front shafts turn all the time. If the hub-joint is bad, then it needs to be changed. No, you cant wait. Please buy the best joints you can. Dana-Spicer, not the dura-crap that autozone, or the rest of them sell. If you cant find good parts locally, these guys have it. They have always provided the best service I have ever had. Good folks. http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/index.html

Last edited:

RamV10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V10

I believe they lock in the differential. But mine turn all the time also. If you are talking axle u-joints waiting very long isn't an option. Most of the time I replace the axle & half shaft with a new one. I don't change the joints. The reason is I question why the joint failed. Is it just old, is the axle or the half shaft bent or have a slight twist?? Even if I bought the truck new the way I use 4wd drive anything is possible.

toofart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 8 spd
Both front axles, the front diff and the front drive shaft turn all the time. It's the transfer case which engages the front driveshaft when you switch to 2wd. As others said, if your front u-joint is toast, change it now.

There are no factory front LSDs, and an LSD in the front axle is highly undesirable since it would try to keep both front wheels turning the same speed, even in 2wd. Snow and ice driving would be dangerous.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Both front axles, the front diff and the front drive shaft turn all the time. It's the transfer case which engages the front driveshaft when you switch to 2wd. As others said, if your front u-joint is toast, change it now.

There are no factory front LSDs, and an LSD in the front axle is highly undesirable since it would try to keep both front wheels turning the same speed, even in 2wd. Snow and ice driving would be dangerous.

Hmm interesting, I remember reading before that thats what it was. Good to know, note taken :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therapywolf