new guy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blue924.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 2500
Engine
magnum 5.9
new guy here with a problematic 46re torque converter. sporadically getting code p1740 for overdrive solenoid or torque converter performance condition, replaced the solenoid and moving on to the converter, hoping it might be something minor but in the event that i need a new converter is there any advantage to going with a higher stall than a factory converter? or lower than a factory converter?

also fluid is fresh and filled to the correct level. thanks guys

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
The stall speed is one way of determining the efficiency of the torque converter. The higher the stall speed, the less efficient the converter. There are very few reasons you would want to increase stall speed for, towing or off-roading are the only two I can think of. Generally you want to stick with factory, or you can get a slightly lower stall speed and get slightly better gas mileage at the expense of low end power.

In short, stick with the factory rpm unless you want to get a slightly lower rpm converter for slightly better gas mileage in trade for low end power.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
If it's not acting up it at all but throwing the code getting that code to stay gone is gonna be difficult. I've had it for 5 years now, might be my tq converter, might be the downstream 02 sensor though too as they're on the same 5v circuit. Hard to say lol.

I'm putting an entirely new trans in soon, if it doesn't go away I'll replace the 02

ramburger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
If it's not acting up it at all but throwing the code getting that code to stay gone is gonna be difficult. I've had it for 5 years now, might be my tq converter, might be the downstream 02 sensor though too as they're on the same 5v circuit. Hard to say lol.

I'm putting an entirely new trans in soon, if it doesn't go away I'll replace the 02

what trans are you going with?

also to the op, are you having any symptoms besides the code?

OP
OP
B

blue924.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 2500
Engine
magnum 5.9
RPMs bob up and down a couple hundred rpm under a load ( like a strong wind or going up hills) in overdrive

ramburger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
the only thing i didnt see mentioned yet is the trans filter.

im guessing when you did the solenoid and new gasket/oil you went ahead with a new filter as well no?