New to Rams need help! Tranny stuck in 2nd.. Willing to bet no one knows!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Precisionauto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know its a long read but PLEASE!

Hopping i could get a little help from you guys as to what my issue might be with the truck I just bought.
Heres a little history, lady i bought it from was driving home from work one day and as she was leaving a light it was stuck in second. Now thats all I could get from her and thats all I know about how it happened. I know, tons of info....

Here is what I do know, which isn't much either but hopefully enough to get a general Idea...
Removed the Trans Relay, it will stay in 3rd gear when in drive but I can use the shifter to shift to second, then back to drive for 3rd.
I replaced the relay and figured i mess with the shifter, if i wiggle the hell out of the shifter the trans will SOMETIMES eventually find "D" and shift from 1st-3rd and then into OD. Its very rare that I can make this happen. Typically if I'm in between N and D.
I figured that it might be the shift linkage sooooo I made adjusted everything and nothing... I even disconnected the shift linkage entirely from the transmission, put the E break on, and put it in drive by hand... Still stuck in second... 1st dose not work either unless I just magically hit the sweet spot like explained above.

I have not had a chance to hook it up to a GOOD diag tool, although I do not have ANY codes for the trans or engine for that matter unless I of course remove the relay... I'm at a loss thus far, thinking its either the govener solenoid or the whole solenoid pack but would really like to know for sure before i replace them.

ANY help, or Ideas would be highly appreciated. Thanks, Newb

RE: AHH Alomst forgot!

2001 Dodge RAM 1500 (quad cab)
5.9 V8 GAS, AUTO, NOT 4x4

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
The trans relay, that you replaced was just the original that you removed correct? More people will chime in tomorrow it is pretty late across the US right now.

My bet is your bands in there need to be properly adjusted or that relay needs to be replaced with a new one or one that for certain works.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I would be looking at the valve body, get those solenoids either cleaned up or preferably replaced. Filter and fluid is standard. Band adjustment will usually not cause a lack of OD but can cause lack of 1st from a stop and a lack of upshift from 2nd to 3rd unless the thing is played with.

Mine is doing a similar thing, but I know mine is bonkered. Valve body is fouled up, solenoids are dirty as all get out, fluid with less than 5K miles on it is black again.

I'm just saving for a rebuild now.

After looking through the service manual for a minute, I would suspect the front band and/or overrunning clutch. The bands are easy to check while the pan is off. You might as well do a fluid and filter change, it wont hurt.

Here, so you have it.

Band adjustment:
tighten to 72 in. lbs.
Front band Back off 2 7/8 turns
Rear band Back off 2 turns

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Put it in Neutral with the engine running and shift all the way down to 1st. Does it have 1st gear if you do this?

Chances are that you have clogging in the valvebody or worn/stuck valves

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Put it in Neutral with the engine running and shift all the way down to 1st. Does it have 1st gear if you do this?

Chances are that you have clogging in the valvebody or worn/stuck valves

Thats how I get my first gear to work when the fluid is mid temp while warming up.

Dumb thing is, no problem cold start, shifts fine. During warm up, i'm pretty sure I could go race and lose to the Amish. Once its warm it only has that stupid overrunning clutch issue where it revs in second but doesnt engine brake and wont upshift.