New truck, have some questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Harleygtp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 12v
Hello everyone!!

I just traded my highly modified pontiac grand prix GTP for a 1996 dodge 1500. It has a 6" suspension lift and a 4" body lift.

Truck is a beast, I'm a big fan of it, but the steering is pretty damn sloppy. Now, I've done some research on the forums about the sloppy steering, and some say the steering gear box should be adjusted. I'll try that, but if that doesn't work out, what else should I be looking at?

I've been a gear head for most of my life, but this is my first dive into the 4wd world.

I'll post some pictures later.

ramburger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
sick truck duder!
look up steering box brace as well, very common aftermarket part for not that expensive
take that body lift down to 2"
though i doubt its a 4" and prob a 3", its not safe.

what size rubber?

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Nice truck and welcome to Rf.

Your steering is going to be incredibly sloppy regardless what you do. I can't believe it still has half ton axles under it. You should look into swapping axles for 3/4 ton axles and the 08.5 t-steering upgrade for that beast. I imagine its still probably got 3.55 gears as well, what size are the tires?

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
So 6" drop pitman arm, redhead steering box, DOR steering box brace {the only brace to use if you dont want to crack your frame).

OP
OP
Harleygtp

Harleygtp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 12v
honestly guys, the truck is a bit too big for me. How much work is it to remove the body lift?

Also, those 40" are ready for replacement, what size should I go with, with that current suspension setup?

I want a truck I can have fun with, but not be all over the road with!!!! I'm not looking to replace any parts like axles unless they break, then I'll upgrade.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
honestly guys, the truck is a bit too big for me. How much work is it to remove the body lift?

Also, those 40" are ready for replacement, what size should I go with, with that current suspension setup?

I want a truck I can have fun with, but not be all over the road with!!!! I'm not looking to replace any parts like axles unless they break, then I'll upgrade.

Omg 40" tires on half ton axles.....

The body lift shouldn't be hard to remove, its just spacers between the frame and body mounting points. The only other things is there may be an extension on the steering that will need to be removed, the trans linkage should also have an extension. Pull that body lift off and put 35" tires on it. Those half ton axles I'm surprised HAVENT broken with those 40" tires on it. Half ton axles are a joke for big tires, I dont care what anyone says. Having said that if you're on stock 3.55 gears the trans won't last long regardless. Best to find a set of bigger axles and gear those then drop em in. Welcome to the world of lifted trucks hahah.

OP
OP
Harleygtp

Harleygtp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 12v
So with the body lift kit out, do I need to replace it with stock hardware?

Also, will 35" tires fit under the stock body mount setup?

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So with the body lift kit out, do I need to replace it with stock hardware?

Also, will 35" tires fit under the stock body mount setup?

Yes you'll need to acquire stock hardware.

Yes they will clear fine with the the 6" lift. You sure its a 6"? Most are 5".

OP
OP
Harleygtp

Harleygtp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 12v
I'm just going off what the guy told me, might be 5", where can i measure to check?

Should I shop ebay for original body mounts? Or should I put in a smaller kit?

Now that you're questioning the suspension lift, how can I measure the body lift also?

OP
OP
Harleygtp

Harleygtp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 12v
So where can I find stock body mounts?

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Auto wrecker, dealer, maybe energy suspension.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wouldn't think you'd need new body bushing unless they are worn out. Body lifts don't replace them. You'll just need factory length bolts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I wouldn't think you'd need new body bushing unless they are worn out. Body lifts don't replace them. You'll just need factory length bolts

Say what? Explain?

OP
OP
Harleygtp

Harleygtp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 12v
Merc, will that energy suspension kit I found on ebay work?

Post#11

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm just going off what the guy told me, might be 5", where can i measure to check?

Should I shop ebay for original body mounts? Or should I put in a smaller kit?

Now that you're questioning the suspension lift, how can I measure the body lift also?

Do you know what brand it is? Thats the easiest way. I'm assuming 5" I'm not aware of any 6" suspension lifts for 2nd gens.

Wherever is cheapest. Go to a wrecker and ask em is my opinion.

Get a tape measure and measure the spacer between the frame mount and body. Again I'm unaware of a 4" body lift so I'm assuming its a 3" which is most common.

Auto wrecker, dealer, maybe energy suspension.

This.

X2 uh what?

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
I've been wanting to take off my body lift as well. Just going to be a pita

OP
OP
Harleygtp

Harleygtp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 12v
I just ordered some 35's, after I put those on I'll remove the body lift kit.