New truck, have some questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I just ordered some 35's, after I put those on I'll remove the body lift kit.

Post up some pix of the control arms and rear suspension maybe we can figure out what kit u have

OP
OP
Harleygtp

Harleygtp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 12v
So, doing some poking round tonight, seems like some of the bumper brackets were welded to accommodate the body lift kit....urrgh. so the body lift may just stay on.....

That, and it looks to me like the front end may need to be rebuilt with new tie rod ends and such, I snapped some crappy pics, take a look and tell me what you think.

I didn't see any problems with the frame at the steering box though.

I really like this truck, want to make this work!

OP
OP
Harleygtp

Harleygtp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 12v
20150819_215113_zpsvdrnxbsj.jpg~320x480

20150819_215530_zpsnyxsswsg.jpg~320x480

20150819_215540_zpsqpjeckut.jpg~320x480

20150819_215602_zpseekopfuh.jpg~320x480

20150819_215722_zpsjspgaeab.jpg~320x480

20150819_215745_zpsjruttgla.jpg~320x480

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
Id replace all new front end parts too my man! Those 40's probably butt ****** that front axle to no end. As far as steering goes, I noticed after I got my new track bar that it tighten up a good amount for me.

But yeah new steering box is the best way to go.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So, doing some poking round tonight, seems like some of the bumper brackets were welded to accommodate the body lift kit....urrgh. so the body lift may just stay on.....

That, and it looks to me like the front end may need to be rebuilt with new tie rod ends and such, I snapped some crappy pics, take a look and tell me what you think.

I didn't see any problems with the frame at the steering box though.

I really like this truck, want to make this work!

You've got a great base to work with man you can make this work! Can you get pics of the welded mounts? You may be able to cut em and make it work.

I have no doubt you'll need to rebuild the front end. Go over everything with a fine tooth comb but don't be surprised if you need to replace just about everything. Dana 44's were NEVER EVER meant to have a tire that big on them. You'll definitely wanna look into getting a red head or borgeson steering box to replace your stock one. As Merc said if you wanna go with a steering box brace DOR, or Dodge Offroad, is your place. I wouldn't get a brace myself I'd just get a better box. Also look into the rock solid ram steering fix.

Hard to tell what the kit is from the pics. Can you get some from the front of the front end?

Id replace all new front end parts too my man! Those 40's probably butt ****** that front axle to no end. As far as steering goes, I noticed after I got my new track bar that it tighten up a good amount for me.

But yeah new steering box is the best way to go.

This.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
So yea my mistake all you need are shorter cab and box bolts. To me that's an odd way to do a body lift. Never Sean one that still uses the stock cab mounts as well as the body lift spacers.

OP
OP
Harleygtp

Harleygtp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 12v
I'd like to get a short list together of things I need to do right away to get this truck ready for the road when it comes to this suspension. So what do you guys suggest i do right off the bat? And what can wait?

1) Replace 40" tires with 35" tires (ordered)
2) Replace body lift kit with either 1.5 kit, or stock height hardware
3) Redhead or borgeson steering gear box
4)_____________
5)_____________
6)_____________

OP
OP
Harleygtp

Harleygtp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 12v
I was looking at this:

DOR 2nd Gen Steering Upgrade - Stage 2

It will kill my budget, but is it worth it?

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I was looking at this:

DOR 2nd Gen Steering Upgrade - Stage 2

It will kill my budget, but is it worth it?

Myself I would just get the box. You can also look at this link as well, many have used this with good results.

OP
OP
Harleygtp

Harleygtp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 12v
Bit the bullet, just ordered a borgeson box from DOR.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks John! I also found these "luke links"....Dodge Ram Full Front End Package 2nd Generation 1994-2002 | Luke's Link

What's the deal with these little guys?

I would just get premium parts from your local parts store myself honestly. This will be a yearly thing on a Dana 44 so having warranty will help save you money. You need to determine what all needs to be replaced, including wheel bearings, ball joints, track bar, etc.

Bit the bullet, just ordered a borgeson box from DOR.

Nice that will be a nice upgrade! You will notice a great difference with it!

OP
OP
Harleygtp

Harleygtp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 12v
I would just get premium parts from your local parts store myself honestly. This will be a yearly thing on a Dana 44 so having warranty will help save you money. You need to determine what all needs to be replaced, including wheel bearings, ball joints, track bar, etc.

Nice that will be a nice upgrade! You will notice a great difference with it!

Thanks John, I read some really amazing things about the new box. And while this truck is going to be a budget-conscious effort, seems like that investment is well worth it.

I'm going to give the lower end a wash down and start inspecting parts. I know on my GTP, MOOG was preferred. Same thing with this setup?

Oh, and another 4wd NEWB question. With the lift on the truck, all the steering and suspension parts remain stock, except the pitman arm, shocks, coils and control arms?

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks John, I read some really amazing things about the new box. And while this truck is going to be a budget-conscious effort, seems like that investment is well worth it.

I'm going to give the lower end a wash down and start inspecting parts. I know on my GTP, MOOG was preferred. Same thing with this setup?

Oh, and another 4wd NEWB question. With the lift on the truck, all the steering and suspension parts remain stock, except the pitman arm, shocks, coils and control arms?

You also need an adjustable track bar, and a drop sway bar kit. As far as brands, a lot of people prefer spicer and some people have seen some longevity issues out of moogs U joints lately but no idea if that carried over to any of their suspension components. Personally I replaced my track bar with a moog unit and it seems to be doing fine.

OP
OP
Harleygtp

Harleygtp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 12v
Thanks Mag, the truck already has a lift on it, I just want to make sure everything is where it's supposed to.

ramburger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
yer good dude just get rid of body lift and drive it with the new 35's on it before you start throwin all this money at it that people are saying u gotta do, you will get a feel right quick what it needs/lacking

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

Ok I will tell you know, you can try to be budget friendly with it, but these trucks lifted are not cheap aha. Be prepared to throw lots of money at it! Grab an online copy of the Free Service Manual and check out the procedures for inspecting your front end components.

Moog is junk nowadays. Just get premium auto part store parts that come with lifetime warranty is my opinion.

Depends how high its lifted. On a 5" you should have longer control arms, longer coils, drop pitman arm, extended shocks, a track bar drop bracket or adjustable track bar (preffered), some also use sway bar drops. Any higher things start to change even more so more things need to adjusted for the lift set-up.

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
Ok I will tell you know, you can try to be budget friendly with it, but these trucks lifted are not cheap aha. Be prepared to throw lots of money at it! Grab an online copy of the Free Service Manual and check out the procedures for inspecting your front end components.

Moog is junk nowadays. Just get premium auto part store parts that come with lifetime warranty is my opinion.

Depends how high its lifted. On a 5" you should have longer control arms, longer coils, drop pitman arm, extended shocks, a track bar drop bracket or adjustable track bar (preffered), some also use sway bar drops. Any higher things start to change even more so more things need to adjusted for the lift set-up.

So much truth to this. Everytime I say "Im done with the truck for a while" I think "Ya know this truck could really use? New tires, a brush guard and some bright as non practical light bars and light pods" :roflsquared:

OP
OP
Harleygtp

Harleygtp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 12v
Ok, got some pictures of the suspension, once they upload I'll post them. Put the nerf bars on, new headlights, and gave the interior a good clean.