NO Drive, NO Reverse, ROUGH 1st Gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KansasRam1997

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360 Magnum
Hi, I've recently rebuilt the engine in my truck and it runs good, however transmissions aren't my forte. The truck will not engage in anything, but 1st gear and even that it's very SLOW and there's barely any power at all. Did I do something wrong with the gearshift linkage? Before I rebuilt the engine, the transmission would slip here and there, but it always let me go in drive and reverse. I'm still a rookie, but any advice will help thank you!

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Hi, I've recently rebuilt the engine in my truck and it runs good, however transmissions aren't my forte. The truck will not engage in anything, but 1st gear and even that it's very SLOW and there's barely any power at all. Did I do something wrong with the gearshift linkage? Before I rebuilt the engine, the transmission would slip here and there, but it always let me go in drive and reverse. I'm still a rookie, but any advice will help thank you!

U check the fluid level in N running at opt temp??? Is the ctv cable hooked up and adjusted right? if all this is a yes tranny is toast.

OP
OP
K

KansasRam1997

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360 Magnum
U check the fluid level in N running at opt temp??? Is the ctv cable hooked up and adjusted right? if all this is a yes tranny is toast.

I found the problem... I'm not sure what it's called but all I did was tighten a bolt that connected to a rod from the steering gear. The transmission engages now, but there's barely any power getting to the wheels. It might be an intake problem? Let me know of any advice, thanks guys

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is it bogging down or just slipping? You say it's getting no power to the wheels well is it like its in neutral or starting off in 3rd gear?

OP
OP
K

KansasRam1997

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360 Magnum
Is it bogging down or just slipping? You say it's getting no power to the wheels well is it like its in neutral or starting off in 3rd gear?

Yeah more of bogging down, no slippage. It extremely slow for some reason probably top speed of like 5-10 mph

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah more of bogging down, no slippage. It extremely slow for some reason probably top speed of like 5-10 mph

Check your plug wires first and make sure they're all going where they need to go. If not that I'm just going to assume the old motor had a bad plenum, see if it will rev over 3000rpm in neutral to verify the cat is still good. After that I would consider looking at the governor solenoids in the tranny.
No fault codes are being thrown this whole time?

OP
OP
K

KansasRam1997

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360 Magnum
Check your plug wires first and make sure they're all going where they need to go. If not that I'm just going to assume the old motor had a bad plenum, see if it will rev over 3000rpm in neutral to verify the cat is still good. After that I would consider looking at the governor solenoids in the tranny.

Yeah the plenum had oil leaking into the intake when I rebuilt the engine. No fault codes at this time.

OP
OP
K

KansasRam1997

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360 Magnum

Wires were all connected. My truck revved well past 3000 rpm's easily in neutral. Always had a gut feeling that the governor solenoids might be bad, heard stories of other owners being duped into buying a new transmission when the problem was really the governor sensors. How can I go about checking if they're good/bad?

OP
OP
K

KansasRam1997

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360 Magnum
Update: sorry it's been a while guys, forgot to update ya'll.... basically how I resolved the issue was 1) it needed more trans fluid (i'm an idiot), 2) I replaced the solenoids on the valve body on the transmission, truck is running great and shifting smoothly. Thanks i appreciate ya'll #RamFam