No Start Fuel Pump Issue/Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matrix733

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello All,

I have 1995 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2l that started dying while driving and would not restart until it sits for a long time. When started now it cannot idle for but a few seconds and when the gas pedal is pushed it sputters and dies.

I found some broken vacuum lines by the throttle and repaired those. I think I have narrowed it down to the fuel pump but need your opinion.

The fuel pump does not come on when key is turned. It comes on only when I bang on the gas tank. The truck will then start until it dies again. I Cannot restart it when it dies or hear fuel pump come on until I bang on it again. I just wanted to be sure am not missing another step before dropping this tank.

Thanks

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
You got it. It's the fuel pump and it is overheating. After it has gone bad the bang will get it started but there is no telling how far it will take you as it will fail to keep the fuel pressure up. Same thing on my 99 Sport 5.2L. The only good thing is you know the banging trick. It saves you a tow fee, but you may have to wait a while until the pump cools, having a full tank helps too (just not when you want to drop the tank)...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk