Noise in 2wd only!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lswat50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 98 ram 1500. So i havent had it very long but used it some during heavy snow. The cad went out on me so i replaced it with a new one. 4x4 works great now...only problem is in 2wd it has a noise and vibration to it. When you get down to about 10 mph it sounds like an old worn out lockout or ujoint clicking. The ujoints appear mostly tight in front end though. I thought maybe my used cad wasnt unlocking fully so i pinned it to the 2wd side And i still get this noise. As soon as shifted to 4x4 side it stops. Im missing something just not sure what. Maybe wheel bearing bad?? Also when you slow to 10 mph and the noise is more pronounced if you steer to either side far enough it goes away?? Could it still be ujoint? Thanks for help either way

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Sounds like an axle u-joint that's tightening up when you engage the two axles in the diff.

OP
OP
L

lswat50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks dodge dude...i agree on the idea of a u joint..iy just has very little play so unsure...just cant make sense of it being a wheel bearing and changin between 4x4 and 2wd. And the vibration at higher speeds makes iylt harder to justify a ujoint...at least in my thinkin.