Is this normal?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kissiffer4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Magnum
Hi all,

Just had a quick question. I was looking under the car last night and spotted this:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1RegCu7c4UGaUEwdEdGNWtCLW8/edit

Hopefully you can see that. Not sure if it is 'normal' or not, but it looked like there had been a bit of leakage on to the ground. Anybody know what it might be?

I just had the car checked out by a mechanic for a different problem and they didn't mention there was another leak, but like I said, I just saw this one.

Any feedback much appreciated as I am not all that familiar with trucks.

Cheers!

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Looks like my trans. pan when I had a leaking transfer case seal.

I'd be willing to bet you either need a new pan gasket or a new transfer case seal.

OP
OP
K

kissiffer4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Magnum
Thanks Dodge Dude. Any idea how much it would cost (ball park) to get either of those fixed?

Cheers.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I got my transmission and transfer case fluid replaced, as well as the seal between them, done for $302.04 back in 2011. Now, if it's just your trans. pan gasket leaking, you could do that yourself and replace the fluid and filter while you're in there. If you don't want to do that, you could have it done at a shop for around $200-ish I'd say.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Be careful having your transmission fluid replaced unless you know that it's been replaced religiously.

You take a automatic that has 120K on it, without fluid replacement, and replace the fluid, you'll be rebuilding that transmission soon. Been told that by many many a transmission shop.

I do tend to agree, you likely just need a trans pan gasket. You could upgrade to a deep finned trans pan at this time, one with a drain plug too. :-D

OP
OP
K

kissiffer4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Magnum
Thanks for the info. I will probably take it into the shop. I only just had it in a few weeks back for a rear differential rebuild and the mechanic said the transmission fluid looked great.

WhiteExpress, any suggestions on where to get a deep finned trans pan? Is it something I can just ask the mechanic to pick up?

Also, when it comes to changing the transmission fluid (at some point), how do you know the mechanic is going to take a religious approach to it? :)

Cheers!

mumbles84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Never have trans flush most common way trans slip

OP
OP
K

kissiffer4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Magnum
Thanks Mumble. So when I take this thing to have the tranny serviced at some point, should I tell the garage not to flush the tranny? What should I ask them to do?

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the info. I will probably take it into the shop. I only just had it in a few weeks back for a rear differential rebuild and the mechanic said the transmission fluid looked great.

WhiteExpress, any suggestions on where to get a deep finned trans pan? Is it something I can just ask the mechanic to pick up?

Also, when it comes to changing the transmission fluid (at some point), how do you know the mechanic is going to take a religious approach to it? :)

Cheers!
Oh we got us a funny guy here! :wave:

well played. You can get a deep transmission pan from many many online sources. I believe some of our site vendors sell them.

With a leak like that, there is little you can do other than have the fluid replaced and hope it doesn't grenade on you. Make sure they adjust the bands while they're in there.

RamV10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V10
I use LubeGard in my Auto trans. I have also saved a 4L60E Chevy trans with a qt. of Lucas Stop Leak additive.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I use LubeGard in my Auto trans. I have also saved a 4L60E Chevy trans with a qt. of Lucas Stop Leak additive.
That's a Chevy.

For future reference: don't EVER use ANY stop leak or any additives that promote better transmission performance in a Dodge transmission unless you're willing to replace it 3 months down the road.