Nv5400 doesnt go forward only reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waylin89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 5.9
hey guys. on my 98 cummins I rebuilt the tranny, I had lost reverse then the forward gears followed. so I got it taken apart and bought a rebuilding kit for it. I got the transmission put back in the truck today. the truck will only go in reverse when I put it in the reverse gear on the shifter. I tried putting it in 1st all the way to 5th and the truck doesn't move. the t-case is locked in 4x4. I moved the shifter from 2 high to 4 lo. the only time it kicks out of four wheel drive is in the neutral spot on the t-case gear shifter. I cant find anything on the web that has a discussion about the problem I am facing. any help would be greatly appreciated.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
hey guys. on my 98 cummins I rebuilt the tranny, I had lost reverse then the forward gears followed. so I got it taken apart and bought a rebuilding kit for it. I got the transmission put back in the truck today. the truck will only go in reverse when I put it in the reverse gear on the shifter. I tried putting it in 1st all the way to 5th and the truck doesn't move. the t-case is locked in 4x4. I moved the shifter from 2 high to 4 lo. the only time it kicks out of four wheel drive is in the neutral spot on the t-case gear shifter. I cant find anything on the web that has a discussion about the problem I am facing. any help would be greatly appreciated.

I take it you mean the NV4500, that is the 5spd manual.

What happens when you try to put it into a drive gear? I would suspect something with the shift forks, i've never rebuilt a synchronous transmission, all the trucks I worked on had automated or old style manual. Never had this particular problem, but it sounds like the forks aren't even being engaged if you made it all the way to fifth.

The transfer case is another story, but its most likely related to the install. The shift lever for the transfer case is adjustable, its probably just out of adjustment.

OP
OP
W

waylin89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 5.9
It doesn't do anything. Doesn't try to grab the gears at all.