OD button on shifter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rod7515

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Was wondering if any one could shed some light on how the OD button in my shift lever is suppose to operate. Its a 98 Ram 1500 automatic. I had to replace the shifter because when I bought the truck the end was broken off. I bought a used one from ebay, I checked to make sure the switch worked while it was off the truck. I havent driven the truck more then a mile as Im waiting for tags which should be before the weekend but sitting in the garage I dont see any light on the dash telling me its changing by pushing the button. Does it have to be up to speed in order for the switch to engage? does the trans automatically switch into OD then the switch will kick it out? Just wanting to know how its suppose to operate so I can troubleshoot.
Thanks Rod

OP
OP
R

rod7515

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So are you saying I should see this light sitting still with switch on and in the garage or do I have to be moving and locked in?
Rod

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
The light comes on during the bulb test when the key is turned to run. At any point after that, with they key in run if you hit the button the OD off light should light and remain lit until you shut it off or the key is cycled.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yep, what everyone said is correct. It's possible your switch might be done for. I had to replace mine last year because it got to the point where you damn near broke your thumb smashing it until it finally "switched."

OP
OP
R

rod7515

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
well I finally got the truck out on the road and it ran great. The light in the dash is burnt out I guess because it does not come on with just the switch on. Damn, wish I knew that while the dash was out. The button functions good and the truck goes in and out of OD so I guess I will need to pull the dash cluster back out. I didnt look to see if I can get to it from underneath but I'm doubting it.
Thanks for the help. If there is a shortcut to replacing that bulb let me know.
Thanks Rod