Odd thing I just found out about my truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gord.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There's a bit of wrong info in this thread, most of the 1500s (v6 and v8) got the the nv3500, and the gas 2500s got the light duty nv4500s. I've heard of a very few 1500s with the nv4500, but I wasn't lucky enough to find one.
Gord.

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
/\/\/\/\

thats what i thought. but i don't have any data to substantiate my thoughts...

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
There were actually 2 variations of the NV4500...the NV4500LD and the NV4500HD...the LD was used in gas trucks with V8's and the HD in the V10 and Cummins trucks...the NV3500 was put in V6 trucks. The HD version has a larger input shaft than the LD...the LD having a 1" shaft and the HD with a 1.25" shaft...and the LD shaft has 19 splines, versus 10 for the HD. The LD was rated for 300 ftlb's of TQ and the HD rated for 460
I got my build sheet for my truck and it says mine has a NV3500, mated to a 5.2 4x4 drivetrain. so i guess they were used in v8 trucks too lol but i think the main difference between the 3500 and 4500 is that the 4500 has a creeper first gear, while the 3500 has a longer first gear.

Mopower318

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
That's what I was thinking too. ^^^^ my sticker under the hood says nv3500 n I've got a v8 albeit a small one lol. Good find tho on having a nv4500 in a half ton. Does anybody know if the bell housing bolt patterns are the same between the ld and hd nv4500's????

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
That's what I was thinking too. ^^^^ my sticker under the hood says nv3500 n I've got a v8 albeit a small one lol. Good find tho on having a nv4500 in a half ton. Does anybody know if the bell housing bolt patterns are the same between the ld and hd nv4500's????
I would think the bolt patterns would be the same but im not positive. Swappin in a NV4500hd would be a really nice upgrade, i hate how the 3500 has a long first gear its a pain on hills and in traffic sometimes lol

Mopower318

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I was just wondering cuz the hd goes behind the cummins... Ergo if they do my 318 would have the same bolt pattern as a 4bt cummins. O the possibilities!!!

Lostnwalmart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was just wondering cuz the hd goes behind the cummins... Ergo if they do my 318 would have the same bolt pattern as a 4bt cummins. O the possibilities!!!

With the right bell Housing on the 4bt yes it will work. one off a 6bt would work on the 4bt

Tugboat24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 gas
Speedometer not working!!!

I have a 1992 dodge w250 with a gas 360, standard 5 speed. Speed sensor was replaced an is getting power to it. Truck does not have a speed cable.

My speedometer was jumping around time to time but worked fine. My clutch went out and when I dropped the tranny the motor kinda fell into the engine bay. It pulled a ground wire out of the block behind the passenger side right below the valve cover. I put it back, also pulled the hazard light I put it back also.

I checked the gears inside the speedometer and they are fine as well.

I don't see any other wires that are messed up.

So the speed sensor on the transmission is getting 5 volts (which is what my book says)

So there has to be a problem somewhere between where the speedometer is and where the wires from the tranny meet. (Somewhere near the driver side behind the headlight)

It's driving me crazy....

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
I have a 1992 dodge w250 with a gas 360, standard 5 speed. Speed sensor was replaced an is getting power to it. Truck does not have a speed cable.

My speedometer was jumping around time to time but worked fine. My clutch went out and when I dropped the tranny the motor kinda fell into the engine bay. It pulled a ground wire out of the block behind the passenger side right below the valve cover. I put it back, also pulled the hazard light I put it back also.

I checked the gears inside the speedometer and they are fine as well.

I don't see any other wires that are messed up.

So the speed sensor on the transmission is getting 5 volts (which is what my book says)

So there has to be a problem somewhere between where the speedometer is and where the wires from the tranny meet. (Somewhere near the driver side behind the headlight)

It's driving me crazy....
welcome.

you should probably start a thread in the first gen section.
Audio & Electronics - DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums

unless there is some serious wiring issues behind the headlight it should not be the area to look at. you want to be looking between the cab and sensor. the sensor should just send the speedo a grounding pulse. the faster you go the more it pulses and the higher speedo goes. just to make sure all gauge are working. mainly looking at the voltage gauge since it shares power with the speedo. the truck wouldn't happen to have daytime running lights would it?