Oil leak, distributor or intake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

baw5405

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.2L
96 ram 2500, 5.2L

So I have a slow oil drip going down the back of the bell housing. It looks like it's coming from the distributor area. I replaced the oil sending unit and still dripping oil.

Anyone know how tight the sending unit needs to be? I could only get a wrench on the top plastic bit, and didn't want to break the plastic, so it's not that tight.

https://youtu.be/6A6Seluw5B0

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

RamV10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V10
To tighten the unit they make a sending unit socket. Without that i doubt you got it tight enough. I put a wrap of Teflon tape on the threads on mine. Tightening with the plastic might of damaged the unit.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
could be leaking at the back rail of the intake manifold. If it's anything like the earlier carbureted LA engines, there's a cork (maybe foam rubber) gasket that seals back, bottom of intake to rear valley rail of block. There's not much holding it in place, and sometimes if they're not glued in well, they can slip and partially pop out, or even pop into the valley.. You can confirm if it has slipped inside by feeling around with a medium feeler gauge in the like 1/8" gap between manifold and block.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
could be leaking at the back rail of the intake manifold. If it's anything like the earlier carbureted LA engines, there's a cork (maybe foam rubber) gasket that seals back, bottom of intake to rear valley rail of block. There's not much holding it in place, and sometimes if they're not glued in well, they can slip and partially pop out, or even pop into the valley.. You can confirm if it has slipped inside by feeling around with a medium feeler gauge in the like 1/8" gap between manifold and block.

The magnum engines use a rubber or silicone metal re-enforced gasket from the factory. I'm not 100% mine was nearly gone when I did my plenum, replaced it with a nice felpro gasket.

OP
OP
B

baw5405

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.2L
Bought one of those extra deep sockets. Tightened it up, fixed :). Intake plenum gasket lives another day

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk