p0340 CEL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

870master

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 v8 360
got a p0340 on my 1997 ram 1500 5.9 v8 auto. looked it up and said it was camshaft pos sesor... but i guess i dont have one of them.. did some diggin around and found pick up coil in the distributor. so i swapped that out today, started it up, was running smooth, revved it up, no probems, let it run a good while and went to drive it around to make sure it was fine. well.........

i put it in gear and let off the brake, i go no where... give it gas and im still in the same spot. move the shifter up and down, feels like its going into gears, back into first and it crept but got moving. seemed to stutter some but it worked out of it, was driving around the block and was getting some back fire. first just one... then three quickly, also felt like it wanted to die.. so i coasted back to my parking spot and here we are!

cap is tight, plugs are where the are supposed to be, truck has not been sitting long only a couple days, no CEL light on.

thoughts?

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I,ve had crank sensors set that code before. I would buy one from mopar though, not aftermarket

OP
OP

870master

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 v8 360
thing is though, it was not doing this till after i swapped the pick up coil

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Cheap parts store sensors are junk and both the cam pickup (cam position sensor) and crank sensor can throw each other's codes. I would start with either a direct from dodge part or something with a lifetime warranty from a parts store, one of their "higher end" pieces. Swap cam pickup again and go from there

OP
OP

870master

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 v8 360
im going to put the old one in when i get home from work and see how it runs under load. if the new one is the problem and it is throwing off the timing, ill order a mopar coil.

will keep posted

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Cheap parts store sensors are junk and both the cam pickup (cam position sensor) and crank sensor can throw each other's codes. I would start with either a direct from dodge part or something with a lifetime warranty from a parts store, one of their "higher end" pieces. Swap cam pickup again and go from there
yep, what he said

OP
OP

870master

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 v8 360
problem was the rotor. i may have not pushed it down all the way and it was hitting the points on the distributor. change it and its running great now under load.